[SOLVED] BSOD: driver portion must be non paged - Rust/Steam

Im having a very weird issue with Steam. Moreso particularly Rust.

Ive had 0 issues since I have built my pc. All drivers, windows, bios are up to date (Ive done this several times)

Starting yesterday, everytime I try to start Rust steam will act as if the game is not installed (which it is) and then I will have to hit install, it will find the existing files, then its done. Then I try opening the game and it crashes at the Easy Anti Cheat splash screen with a BSOD that says "DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED". Then I will restart the system, and steam will want me to reinstall the game again! and then the same issue happens! OVER AND OVER!

So of course I get right on google. Ive tried everything short of resetting windows.

Things Ive tried:
  • Update Windows and BIOS
  • Testing RAM using Windows Ram Test (no errors)
  • Tested RAM 1 stick at a time in MOBO
  • Testing SSD Health (no errors nor predictive failure)
  • ran SFC /scannow (found corrupt files and repaired them)
  • ran chkdsk
  • ran dism
  • Booted into a safe Windows Environment with all services disabled
  • Fully uninstalled graphics driver with DDU and then reinstalled
  • System Restore to a previous date (the restore was for 3-4 hours before the 1st time the issue happened)
  • Ran a Malware check (no issues)
  • Tried running troubleshoot for BSOD but everytime I try it says "This cannot be done with this version of Windows"
  • Fully uninstall the game AND Steam then reinstall
  • Changed the Systems Paging File from Auto to the recommended value
  • Install game onto a entirely seperate SSD
Things I have not tried:
  • Resetting Windows
  • Fresh Windows Install
The other games I have installed work fine. No issues.

Im not sure if this is coincidence but this issue happened right after I used Nvidia GeForce Experience to Optimize Rust's graphic settings. Ive never had a issue with opening Rust until I did this. Not sure if its just a coincidence though. I tried using event viewer to see if I could narrow down why the crash is happening but I cannot seem to make sense of it. There are some errors related to Adobe services but I fully uninstalled anything I had with Adobe so not sure how it would still cause an error.

If there are any logs or files I can add to this thread to help find the issue please let me know and I will add them! Thanks ahead of time!

[SYTSTEM SPECS]

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x (4.2ghz 1.325v)
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC 3x Windforce White (8pin only version)
MEMORY: HyperX RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb / 500gb Seagate / 1tb Samsung 860 Qvo
PSU: Corsair cx550m
WIN: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: Antec Prizm 3x 120mm rgb case fans with controller and 2 RGB strips / 1 default 120mm case fan
Case: Cougar MX330

Last edited:
Solution
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED"
that is an odd error, I haven't seen that one before.
first reaction to odd errors is check ram

Now I know you used the windows memory tester but i would use something else to confirm ram is okay
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

drivers have to run in ram, that error seems to suggest something tried to move a driver onto page file and that won't work.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small...

Colif

Win 11 Master
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED"

Now I know you used the windows memory tester but i would use something else to confirm ram is okay
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

drivers have to run in ram, that error seems to suggest something tried to move a driver onto page file and that won't work.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
wonder what dumps look like.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Ill do that tonight after work and post the results. All my other games work fine. Ive narrowed it down to it being Easy Anti Cheat. Easy Anti Cheat is causing the crash.

Ive uninstalled it, reinstalled it, repaired it. But it still crashes.

Ive seen other people with my exact aame issue with the Easy Anti Cheat causing crashes and the same exact bsod. They resolved it by updating their bios (z570 board). Ive updated my bios to the latest bios (its a beta) and the issue remains. I very highly doubt its a hardware issue. Something is wrong though and if it is in fact something to do with the bios, then I would have to literally wait for msi to fix the issue with a new bios, which may never even happen.

Its also weird if it would be a bios issue as Ive had the same bios for 2 years and have never had an issue. Its still odd to me that this ONLY started happening after using Geforce Experience to optimize the games graphics.

SO I just got home and I was about to do what you suggested. The issue has fixed itself. Everytime I open the game now it opens normally. Not sure what was going on but maybe Easy Anti Cheat did a background update to fix it? IDK but I tried to get it to happen n it no longer happens. Wether this means it will happen again or not? Not sure, but it seems to be fine now and I did nothing else to try fixing it since I posted this.

Should I still include my log/dump files here?