Question BSOD: driver power state failure on cold gpu

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
So, whenever i turn my laptop on after some time begin off i doesn't detect nvidia gpu. What I need to do is turn it off and on. After that gpu is still not detected but after few seconds in desktop fan goes full speed and all the lights blinks. After few seconds in this emergency mode laptop turn off. I turn it on again and this time nvidia gpu is detected but with exclamation mark (code 31). Fans goes full speed again and laptop turns off. I need it to restart few more times to work properly or wait in BIOS. After this 3-5 minutes of restarting laptop finally everything is working, so i switch to external monitor and from now on everything work fine. Except situation when I don't use external monitor and gpu. If i use laptop screen and for example watching yt everything is ok but when i don't do anything on laptop and gpu has nothing to do and suddenly I open browser laptop freeze and BSOD show up.
This happen to me for so time and after trying other methods (reinstall driver, new windows) I decided to make re-flow. It help for 6 months and now problem is back. So I took it to the repair shop thinking that the problem is within cold solder joints between gpu and motherboard. He said that he never meet with such a problem and probably the problem is within gpu chip itself and it needs to be replaced but on the other hand he said that if gpu is broken it shouldn't work on full load like my.

Now I don't know to do and looking advice from you.

My spec: Clevo P670RS-G; Intel 6700HQ; GTX 1070; 16GB RAM: Windows 10
Minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1on0IK33Sgmtq1EcZz3cs2q0e0GextAA2/view?usp=share_link

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
your rar folder is full of shortcuts, its size is only 3kb, that should have been a clue to me.

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
The name of Driver power state errors seems to suggest we should look at software first.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is okay, I should have noticed before i extracted the files.

Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 112022-7031-01.dmp (Sep 20 2022 - 16:48:17)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File: 110422-7781-01.dmp (Nov 5 2022 - 04:51:36)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File: 110422-5656-01.dmp (Nov 5 2022 - 03:29:49)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File: 110322-5375-01.dmp (Nov 3 2022 - 19:30:22)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File: 110122-7000-01.dmp (Nov 1 2022 - 18:50:51)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "XtuAcpiDriver.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
its unlikely you need this
Apr 12 2017XtuAcpiDriver.sys!!! Intel Extreme Tuning BIOS Interface driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)
try taking afterburner off
Jun 18 2020RTCore64.sys!!! Overclocking Software - RivaTuner - MSI Afterburner http://www.msi.com/ or EVGA Precision X http://www.evga.com/

Well, the Nvidia drivers were hardly a surprise.

now I wonder, is there a driver website for the laptop? can you check if they list any nvidia drivers, as it could be the current one doesn't work with the Intel switchable graphics like it should.

can you see if you have newer audio drivers as well. Not all the BSOD are the same, 3 mention the Nvidia driver but the 2 that don't are different

do you have a fingerprint reader? just identifying unknown drivers.

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
I use these two programs to monitor pc status, not to overclock.

now I wonder, is there a driver website for the laptop? can you check if they list any nvidia drivers, as it could be the current one doesn't work with the Intel switchable graphics like it should.
So I uninstall current drivers with DDU and install that from manufacturer. No change.

can you see if you have newer audio drivers as well. Not all the BSOD are the same, 3 mention the Nvidia driver but the 2 that don't are different
Like with the gpu drivers I did the same with audio. No change.

do you have a fingerprint reader? just identifying unknown drivers.
Yes, I do but im not using it

I post 2 minidump from today after driver's change:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nqcJ2bZIMnS3cxICIW6UL2H3BX3FIsyH/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
wonder if its the new intel drivers.
Are you playing games when it crashes as most laptops use the intel drivers for desktop and Nvidia for games.

Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 110522-7812-01.dmp (Nov 5 2022 - 23:37:12)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File: 110522-7750-01.dmp (Nov 5 2022 - 21:43:06)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

which Nvidia drivers apart from those have you tried?

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

I feel like its something else causing GPU drivers to crash. tried playing without printer attached?

this driver feels too old
Jul 31 2009MBfilt64.sysHigh Definition Audio driver (Realtek Ltd) https://www.realtek.com/en/
but if you have latest audio drivers, it must be okay.

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
Are you playing games when it crashes as most laptops use the intel drivers for desktop and Nvidia for games.
BSOD are occur when im not playing. For example: playing game everything is ok, closing game doing nothing Nvidia GPU usage go down to 0% and after i do any task like opining web, laptop freeze up and BSOD occur.

which Nvidia drivers apart from those have you tried?
several. I update GPU drivers do the new few days ago, before that i did not update them for quite some time and now i install this from manufacturer (they are pretty old, like 2018)

First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver
I just did that with manufacturer drivers

Or try getting the latest version of the driver.
I had the latest before posing here

I feel like its something else causing GPU drivers to crash. tried playing without printer attached?
printers are connected via ethernet cable but i can try this and maybe old intel drivers.

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you,
IT WORK! I uninstall manufacturer drivers via DDU and let windows update install drivers (drivers from 2017) and for now everything looks ok. Only need to check cold booting.

So, I can't use any new nvdia drivers?

Thanks a lot Colif for help.

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
Unfortunately i was happy to soon. After install drivers from windows update it ask me to restart my laptop witch i did. Everything was allright on this boot. So i restart it again to check if something change and the problem still occurs...
What is interesting after that first restart when everything was ok display first show on secondary screen

Maybe i found some clue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JT1x_jsQqOda5FeCK4PKVyzzJ71Y3AHG/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is annoying and unexpected

run ddu as usual, run windows update after start, do the restart and then set this:
To stop Windows from doing automatic driver updates, navigate to Control Panel > System & Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings. Then choose "No (your device might not work as expected)."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
that is annoying and unexpected

run ddu as usual, run windows update after start, do the restart and then set this:
To stop Windows from doing automatic driver updates, navigate to Control Panel > System & Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings. Then choose "No (your device might not work as expected)."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows
That doesn't help either.
I also try resisting ram, ssd, plug off CMOS, nothing.
From now im using discrete mode (not using Intel GPU). That solve the problem off BSOD in desktop but still in cold boot i have no display at all and need to wait few minutes in bios. For me it's hardware problem not software since reflow help for 6 months.

Niunacz

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
sounds like a power issue perhaps if it isn't always detected at startup. I assume it does it on power and battery.
Yep, i even unplug battery from motherboard and check it on cord only.

I'll probably take it to the repair shop to change GPU or just the solder balls