[SOLVED] BSOD Driver verifier violation detected

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
I did a memtest in win 10 and came back with a error reporting something about my ram. tried driver verifier and got BSOD upon restart Driver verifier detected violation. Got blue screen view and saved the dump file it looks like two errors came up Caused By Driver (nordlwf.sys) & Caused By Address (nordlwf.sys+2b0b) & Crash Address (ntoskrnl.exe+3f5780)

here is link with blue screen view Dump file and link with c:/windows/minidump file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11zWxfDq6_FWJLndIL9Er__XpWbmbe-ox/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NG8R42X04zjwyISqoKARMpq64kCb1oo5/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nord VPN drivers - try updating these or maybe your LAN/WIFI drivers, which ever you use
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

i will ask a friend to convert dumps in case there is another cause.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/d4trf0va/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:010721-28453-01.dmp (Jan 7 2021 - 15:01:45)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nordlwf.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did a memtest in win 10 and came back with a error reporting something about my ram.

Why did you run memtest? how many errors did you get in memtest? Max you want is 0. (Wish I had noticed this yesterday)

Any higher could be reason nordvpn was blamed, it might not be its fault at all. Bad memory can make good drivers look bad.

You should replace any ram sticks with errors and see if the problems stop.

Last edited:

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Thanks for the reply much apreciated, just want to correct myself i did a memory diagnostic on windows 10 think im gonna try a memtest86 and see results i deleted nord will see if i get errors again, my pc is quite old my specs is:

Windows 10 Home version 10.0.19042 build 19042
Cpu - i7 2600
Mobo - Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Bios Version - American Megatrends Inc. F15,2013/10/23
SMBios Version - 2.7
Ram - Slot 1&3 -Kingston KVR 4GB 1333mhz
Ram - Slot 2&4 - Transcend 2Rx8 4GB 1333mhz
Total Ram - 16gb
Gpu - Gtx 750ti

Let me know if i must add any more info

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Only want to know results of tests, I don't necessarily need to :)

Only reply if you keep getting errors, and ram is okay, as we look harder :)

still busy with test so far pass 1 has finished and came back with a whopping 39 errors and pass 2 allready shown 10 errors😭 i thinks that is not a good sign. After test will there be a log file somewhere that i can upload so you guys can have a look at it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
still busy with test so far pass 1 has finished and came back with a whopping 39 errors and pass 2 allready shown 10 errors😭 i thinks that is not a good sign. After test will there be a log file somewhere that i can upload so you guys can have a look at it?
only error count you want in memtest is 0 so looks like you need to replace the ram. a fail in Memtest usually enough for the ram maker to replace the set for you.

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
but which ram do i replace? the kingston or transcend sticks? or must i test them one by one? that will probly take ages, ive read allso that some motherboards with bios update for some reason scramble your memory settings and need to be set again the voltage or timings etc. that allso can cause memtest to come back with errors?

only error count you want in memtest is 0 so looks like you need to replace the ram. a fail in Memtest usually enough for the ram maker to replace the set for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, you test them one stick at a time or you don't know which one is cause. Up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

have you done a bios update recently? none of your bios info shows in the details gardenman provided, which can show an older bios (that makes sense)

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Trying to test with individual ram and see what is faulty, is that bios version the right one and the best one i have? ive read if bios is wrong or outdated it can allso give problems where you have to adjust memory settings again in bios?

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
yes, you test them one stick at a time or you don't know which one is cause. Up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

have you done a bios update recently? none of your bios info shows in the details gardenman provided, which can show an older bios (that makes sense)

i have updated bios about 3 months ago but did recently a clean install and let windows do all the updates and i downloaded my nvidia drivers

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
you on the latest bios now.

When you update the bios it resets all its settings, I assume that is what you are referring to, Should only need to set them once after the reset.

ok thanks i have never fiddled with the ram settings before like the clock speeds and voltage etc. was just wondering maybe after bios update that voltage or speeds are wrong and needs to be adjusted?

Took out one memory stick and left the other 3 remaining in mobo so far pass one has came back with no errors. There is a note memtest made that is saying RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips?

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
what you should have done after the bios update is go into the bios, go to the save & exit tab and click Set optimised defaults. it probably doesn't change ram settings a great deal but it could help. It shows you on page 39 of manual - https://download1.gigabyte.com/Files/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b75m-d3h_e.pdf

I don't know if your ram would work in XMP. It is on page 28 of manual. It speeds up ram

thanks alot for the info as soon as memtest is finished ill go and do that. You have the courage to read through manuals in my understanding a man will allways try to do a thing himself if all fails then he runs to the manual:ROFLMAO:.

so far pass 2 allmost done and no errors in return Time running 1hr10min this thing takes ages.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sometimes helps to run memtest over night so its not as obvious how long it takes

I saw you had a gigabyte and since I do as well, I wasn't sure if you had the optimised defaults choice so I had to go look. It helps to know what options there are when trying to help people figure out their problems.

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
it sometimes helps to run memtest over night so its not as obvious how long it takes

I saw you had a gigabyte and since I do as well, I wasn't sure if you had the optimised defaults choice so I had to go look. It helps to know what options there are when trying to help people figure out their problems.

So far test 1 and 2 has passed. would like to know if all tests pass is it a good idea to have ram in dimm 1&3 and only have 1 ram stick in dimm 2 must they be in series? wont it affect my system if only 3 ram sticks is present?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know, as most motherboard manuals only have diagrams that show 1, 2 or 4 sticks. Nothing about 3 sticks. I have to guess 1 & 3 run in dual channel and stick 2 all by itself is single as it has to be. I don't know if it will slow the 1st channel down at all.

I can't test it as I don't have 4 sticks of ram.

Most ram has lifetime warranty, if it fails memtest you should be able to get the set replaced with new ones.

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
I don't know, as most motherboard manuals only have diagrams that show 1, 2 or 4 sticks. Nothing about 3 sticks. I have to guess 1 & 3 run in dual channel and stick 2 all by itself is single as it has to be. I don't know if it will slow the 1st channel down at all.

I can't test it as I don't have 4 sticks of ram.

Most ram has lifetime warranty, if it fails memtest you should be able to get the set replaced with new ones.

Will try and have a look at how system performs with 3 ram modules. you say lifetime warranty but probly they need reciept for buying the ram this ddr3 ram is very old i doubt if they will replace it and where to go if you want to replace it or do you contact the manufacturer self. Tried to google my ram but cant find much info on Transcend if it is lifetime warranty maybe.

My stick info is 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM CL9 (594088-1439) RoHS[16]

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
If memtest pass with no errors do you think i must run driver verifier again? to see results?
I tested driver verifier last time with all services except microsoft services. Or must driver verifier run with all services enabled?

Colif

Win 11 Master
you don't need to test Microsoft services
if memtest finds no errors now but did before, we have to wonder if the problem isn't a slot on motherboard then. As you only test in 1 slot, maybe its one of the others causing errors.

this might help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

it checks windows, much better than driver verifer does.

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
you don't need to test Microsoft services
if memtest finds no errors now but did before, we have to wonder if the problem isn't a slot on motherboard then. As you only test in 1 slot, maybe its one of the others causing errors.

this might help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

it checks windows, much better than driver verifer does.

At the moment im testing in 3 slots only removed slot 4 ram module and so far no errors came up again looks like i took a lucky guess and dimm 4 or the ram module is faulty, will do that sfc /scannow when memtest is done and give feedback.

I used before system optimizers like sytem mechanic,cc cleaner and iobit but like ive read on this forum that optimizers are doing actually more damage to your software than fixing them.