BSOD due to temp?

Rydis

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2005
I recently cleaned my machine and replaced a fan on the side duct. During this time I also decided to reapply thermal paste to the HS/Fan because it hasn't been done for almost 2 years. My usual idel temp was 50º and around 65-70º load. After cleaning the machine (just wipping down the fans and applying new thermal paste) my temps are now up in the 69-80º (varies alot) and I can't get into windows. It loads up windows, I can see a mouse cursor and then it resets.

I can't see the BSOD because it resets, and I can't halt it because I can't get into windows. Is there another way to halt the BSOD so I can see what the problem is, or might this not be with a temperature problem and something else could of happened?

I can't see the BSOD because it resets, and I can't halt it because I can't get into windows. Is there another way to halt the BSOD so I can see what the problem is, or might this not be with a temperature problem and something else could of happened?

Right-click "my computer", select properties. On the "advanced" tab, select "start up & recovery" settings. Uncheck the "automatically restart" on system failure.

Fuse

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I can't get into windows.
^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, well my first step would be to see if you are able to boot to a disk instead of windows. If not, I would check the CPU over again and make sure the fan is seated on it tightly...which I'm sure you've already done 15 times, yes? =)

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Try booting into safemode. See if you can get there. I think it is F8, just keep taping once you hit the power button.

Rydis

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2005
I dont have a XP boot disk, but I have the CD I can load to. I have checked and rechecked the HS/Fan multiple times (dunno why it still runs so hot, time to invest into AS 5). I'll try safe mode when I get home.

This morning though, I did sucessful load windows, and it told me my video card didn't have the extended power connected (oops). Thought this might of been the problem. I turned it off, pluged in the cord to the side the card and havn't been able to load succesfully again.

Swaped out video cards, to my old 5500 FX, nada. Unhooked everything but 1 HD, 1 Ram, CPU and PSU. Both my HD have XP, and I switched between them and betweenram and still no windows.

Cleared cmos and nada there also.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Try resetting the bios also.

You don't need a disk to boot into safe mode. Just to reinstall or repair the operating system. I just think it might be hardware problem, maybe something unseated itself in the clean up.

Yeah, get artic silver 5. Check there website on how to apply it.

Just a thought, did you plug the cpu fan back into the motherboard.

Did you simply add more thermal grease? You should always clean the proc with some sort of proc-friendly solution (don't know what it is) and then re-apply thermal grease.

Also, something similar happened to me once. Ever notice those little connects on the top side of some processors? I applied too much thermal grease and it made a connection between two of the connect and because of that I got some weird results.

What are your system specs?

Good luck.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
the weird thing is that you cleaned your computer and temperatures raised instead of going down... the fan you replaced is the same spec?
make sure the HSF is in contact with your cpu
with temperatures going 80 i'm pretty sure it's overheating...
you can also try to put some extra fan towards the cpu to see if it helps lowering the temps and booting windows

Rydis

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2005
Yes, I cleaned the HS with 98% isypol (dont know exact name) alcohol.

Im running:

Athlon XP 2400+
1(2x512) gig pc2700 kingston ram
Evga 6600GT AGP
XFX KT40-ANH motherboard

Its a pretty old system, but ran alot of things very well, so I stuck with it.

When cleaning it, I didnt' remove any of the HD or dvd roms. The only hardware that was touched before I tried removing all but the basic componets were the HS/FAN and a system fan.

I can't add any more fans, I have 1 80 MM on the side and 2 80 MM in the back.

This is the current HS/Fan

All the fans are the same for the case. Don't remeber exactly specs of them, but i remeber they said tornado on the box.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=T925-2019

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
did you remove all the dust from the heatsink? did you check to see if the heatsink fan is spinning? check in bios to see how much rpm it's running...

i took a look at the link and your cpu cooler has a 80mm fan... you can try to change your cpu fan for a 80mm case fan to see if it helps a little

Fuse

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
If you can boot to CD, go into the recovery console and do a fixboot. This will redo your mbr. I've had to do this after a power outage or two. If you get a message about missing ntlrd, browse the windows CD in the i386 folder I think it is and copy to C: on your HD.

Fuse

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The only other advice I can give is to bring a friend by to stand over your shoulder while you complain about how it won't work. That should make everything work perfectly and you look like your crazy.
At least this is what happens to me as a systems analyst.

If that fails too, stand on one leg in a chicken suit, baaaaa like a sheep while giving the computer the evil eye. Or do you know voodoo?