Jul 23, 2011
Specs: CPU- Core 2 duo 3.1ghz
Motherboard - Gigabyte
Ram - 2gb
Hard Drives - 1x40gb 1x350gb 1x500gb
Graphics Card - GF220 Palit
OS - Windows 7 with sp1

Problem:

It started 2 days ago when my PC froze and I had to do a hard reset. It froze right after I plugged in my head phones and the realtek software pops up to tell me that I plugged in a new device. Since then, I've noticed that every time I shut down my pc and turned it on again the BSOD would appear just after the windows 7 logo appears on screen (the one before you get to log in to your profile) After the logo appears my screen goes black for 10-15 seconds and then the BSOD appears together with the dumping of physical memory. After it reboots itself all will go well and I can log in to my profile account, it won’t appear again even if I restart my pc. It only happens when I shut my PC down and turn it back on. Also I’ve noticed that when playing movies the sound becomes choppy. And when I use Firefox and open any flash based game or animation the sound also becomes choppy and the game/animation plays in slow motion. I also noticed that Firefox freezes for 3-5 seconds before loading a page with heavy flash based animation or games (i.e. Farmville, empire and allies etc…). None of these where present before so I thought it could either be audio or video driver related.

BSOD showed me this: “A major problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage. Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.”

The problem seems to be with this a part of my registry called “nvlddmkm.sys”

What I did:

I used a registry cleaning program hoping it would fix the problem but it didn’t. So I uninstalled both the drivers for my audio and graphics thru safe mode and then used DriverSweep to make sure no remnants in the registry would be present. I rebooted the pc and installed the audio driver, shut down my pc and turned it on again. No BSOD appeared and the sound wasn’t choppy. I then went on and installed the graphics driver (the latest one from the Nvidia website that supported my graphics card) NVIDIA Driver 275.33 whql. I shut down my pc and then turned it back on; BSOD appeared right after windows 7 logo with the physical memory dump. It rebooted and I was able to log in but the sound and video problems were still present. I then used a 3d bench mark test to see if my graphics card was the problem, the test went well I got a similar score to what I got before. I then used the memtest software built into windows 7 to check if my memcards were alright, the test when smoothly and no problems were detected.

My conclusion:

I still don’t know what the heck is wrong with my PC although I can speculate it’s with the driver for my graphics card… Can someone here help me? Thanks in advance! :D

Aoshi18

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Yes my Mobo Bios are all up to date. Well the most recent update for my display driver came out months ago and i've been using that driver ever since. Its only now that this problem came up. And yes i've plugged my headphones in a hundred times and it never ended up like this. By the way here is the error report win7 gave me once i logged in:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800417B010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F4016E8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0