BSOD during strange bugged installation from faulty RAM. Any possible PC damage?

Mar 8, 2018
I bought a used stick of RAM and installed it today, which seemed fine at first but then my Firefox began crashing. When I tried downloading and installing Fortnite, the installation bugged and kept repeating over and over after reaching 100% (It wouldn't take any more storage space than the intended ~15gb, but would repeatedly download/install at full speed going from 0 to 100 then back to 0%). It eventually failed the installation but I tried again as I troubleshot the issue. Eventually, during the middle of another repeated installation cycle, I got a BSOD:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Assuming it was my RAM, I did a diagnostic and removed the faulty stick. I now have my original healthy 8gb and everything seems to be fine, but I'm worried about any possible damage the strange repeating installations did along with the BSOD. One strange thing that happened afterwards was my headset audio drivers stopped working correctly, but could be unrelated. Anything I should worry about or be cautious of? Samsung Magician still says SSD is healthy.

Solution
There is in all likelihood 99.99999% chance that there is no damage. But proving a negative is probably impossible. But for all effective purposes, tldr, NO damage.

Now having said that, because you did you OS install in an unstable ram state, what got written to disk/ssd/storage may have very well be corrupted in funny unknown places. It would probably be best for you to avoid hard to diagnose random BSOD issue via redoing your OS installation.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
There is in all likelihood 99.99999% chance that there is no damage. But proving a negative is probably impossible. But for all effective purposes, tldr, NO damage.

Now having said that, because you did you OS install in an unstable ram state, what got written to disk/ssd/storage may have very well be corrupted in funny unknown places. It would probably be best for you to avoid hard to diagnose random BSOD issue via redoing your OS installation.

Solution