[SOLVED] BSOD during windows install process on NVMe drive

Biggs87

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me here, all day I have been trying to figure out this issue with no luck.

I recently built a new PC, specs:
Asus Strix z390 -E
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
RTX2070
XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB

The build and process went fine, everything was detected in the bios at the start, it all looked good. When I go to install Windows 10 from a USB drive using the Windows 10 Creation Tool everything seems like its going to work. The first half of the install goes as planned and even gets all the way to "Finishing Up" on the checklist. The issue happens when the PC restarts. When it restarts, it goes past the ROG splash screen and I either get a BSOD, or Windows startup repair screen.

I tried multiple different ways to install windows 10, using Rufus, different USB drives, different usb ports... all with no luck.

So eventually, I decide to try and install windows on a SATA SSD just to see if it would work. The install worked perfectly, with no errors. I even connected the NVME drive to the PC after I installed windows on the SATA SSD to see if it worked, and it initializes and created volume fine.

There is something going wrong when I try to use my XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB as my boot drive and install windows to it, and I just can't figure out what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Do you have everything in the BIOS at default values (RAM speed, etc)? Do you have the latest BIOS?
I would run MEMTEST for 4 - 6 hours to see if your motherboard/ram is stable.

Biggs87

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I don't think it's recognizing NVMe correctly. Did you install any drivers for that? Or did you let Windows take care of that?

Not sure why you would need to run Memtest since the system runs fine on SATA.

I let windows take care of it as it was a fresh install. Can you install drivers before you have an install of windows?

Biggs87

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I managed to get this fixed now.

Sadly it wasn't a cheap fix, eventually after trying everything I put it down to the NVMe being faulty. I purchased a new NVMe (WD black).

Put it in, and everything installed the first time without any issue. Sucks that I had to buy a new NVMe but I just got unlucky I guess, I will try and RMA to get my money back.

Thanks for all the help anyway!