Bsod error 0x00000024--can bad RAM corrupt ntsf files

mallemaroking

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
My husband and I bought a bare bones computer kit (2,actually-- the other one is working fine)
and have been running up against 2 diff bsod errors.

system specs:
Asus M2N68-AM SE2 GeForce 7025 socket AM2+ MB
Seagate 750GB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
Corsair DR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
EVGA GeForce9500GT 1 GB
AMD Phenom X4 9600 4MB 95W
CPU 500W ATX power supply

The first error I encountered was 0x00000050.

Symptoms: Computer stopped working, flashed bsod, couldn't reboot. It would appear to start, lights would come on, but screen would remain black and wouldn't get that reassuring little beep. If I turned off computer and waited 20 min or so, then it would start up again and work for a short while before getting bsod again.

I tried reseating everything, making sure plugs were plugged. I pulled out one of the RAM then reinstalled windows xp after reformatting drive. Everything seemed to be working great!

To test and see if it was the RAM, I pulled out the working RAM and replaced it with the other one. I booted up and immediately got BSOD with different error message--the 0x00000024 one. It would restart, start me on the screen saying it encountered an error and which mode did I want to start in. No matter what I selected, I would get the bsod error.

I put in the 'good' RAM. No change. I put in the other RAM so now both were in. No change.

I put in the Windows XP disk and selected repair. It is now running chkdsk /r.

My question is: did putting in the 'bad' RAM cause the disk error? It's a little late now to pull out the second RAM, but I'm worried that I'll still end up with an issue because I have both in there. After running this, should I run it again with the 'good' RAM only? or is there a different issue entirely going on that I should check?

mallemaroking

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
There is no part with underscores.
the text is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F for check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024

I had to take an avi of the bsod since it flashed by so fast and the parenthetical variables after the 0x00000024 are partially obstructed by and 'adjusting' message from my monitor.

mallemaroking

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
the chkdsk scan did find and repair stuff. I pulled out the memory card I think is bad and rebooted the computer. It seemed to be working fine so I went into WoW, began to adjust video settings and it stopped working. the screen went black, the computer was still on, but not doing anything. It was exactly like the original error I was getting before the 0x00000024 error-- page_fault_in_nonpaged_area 0x00000050 error.

Booting into safe mode doesn't work.

I just looked up memtest to see what that was about and have put it on a cd. I'll be doing that next.

mallemaroking

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
updated the drivers.

still working on the memtest bootable cd to test that out. I'm very new to all this troubleshooting and it's taking me a bit to figure it out.

I very much appreciate the suggestions you've been offering--thanks!