Jul 24, 2019
i accidentally turned my laptop off while it was still adjusting after an windows update.

now i get a BSOD with the error message 0xc0000021a

i need help, what do i do?

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
I'm truly sorry to hear that friend, I do believe that you are having a blue screen of death issue.

This might recommend to do a factory reset or system restore.

What is your PC manufacturer?

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
Well they will both lose data, the reset will only re-install the currently operating system to default.

The reloading will re-install a new operating system on the computer.

I would recommend that you reach out to your manufacturer support and let they assist you live.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry, but no this is not correct. You do not need to immediately reset your PC.

Every BSOD is completely different and has a variety of causes.
Please see this guide first that will guide you through enabling minidumps so that we can better support
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

in the meantime could you please clarify:
  • Your entire system spec including PSU make and model
  • If you have latest BIOS installed
  • If you are running any OC
  • If this is a new problem from a build that has worked normally previously, and if so, have you changed anything?

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
Sorry, but no this is not correct. You do not need to immediately reset your PC.

Please see this guide first that will guide you through enabling minidumps so that we can better support
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Yes that is correct friend, but sometimes, it will not be able to boot the operating system.

I really don't think it will be able to boot in the recovery mode.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes that is correct friend, but sometimes, it will not be able to boot the operating system.

I really don't think it will be able to boot in the recovery mode.
Agreed - but with respect, it was jumped to before we really understand the problem.
No question a full reset can help, but it can't be the first thing to recommend.

Hope this is read with the sincerity I intend it to have.

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
Agreed - but with respect, it was jumped to before we really understand the problem.
No question a full reset can help, but it can't be the first thing to recommend.

Hope this is read with the sincerity I intend it to have.

That's fine bro, I've dealt with situations like this.

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

Jul 24, 2019

in the meantime could you please clarify:
  • Your entire system spec including PSU make and model
  • If you have latest BIOS installed
  • If you are running any OC
  • If this is a new problem from a build that has worked normally previously, and if so, have you changed anything?

http://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/178992 don't know if it gives you the info you need

don't know about bios update, never i guess. do you mean uefi mode, then still no?

what is OC?

No its a notebook.

i'm sorry if i'm not thorough/detailed, i'm a newbie at this

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's fine bro, I've dealt with situations like this.

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.
I know the bugcheck and description:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-0xc000021a--status-system-process-terminated

Which is why it is best recommending to get into safe or recovery mode first to run SFC, that and it could be coincidence and the conflict could be from a third party driver.

i'm sorry if i'm not thorough/detailed, i'm a newbie at this
Are you able to get into safe or recovery mode?

Jul 24, 2019
I know the bugcheck and description:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-0xc000021a--status-system-process-terminated

Which is why it is best recommending to get into safe or recovery mode first to run SFC, that and it could be coincidence and the conflict could be from a third party driver.

Are you able to get into safe or recovery mode?
you mean winRE? then yes
however, i can't boot into safe mode using winRE

edit: i forgot to mention? maybe useful info
i have 2 OS on my laptop
  • my main OS win10 keeps giving me bsod an restarts.
  • 2nd OS 8.1 boots fine
and have linux on usb to access windows 10 partition

Last edited: