[SOLVED] BSOD errors, tried several things to no avail

Claustric

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
So I’ll preface this by saying my computer was in storage for three years. Prior to this, it was working perfectly fine as I used it on a regular basis before moving, but since moving I was hesitant to set it up until I resolved issues with wiring in the new house (breaker tripped easily and I didn’t want to short/fry my PC).

After removing it from storage and cleaning all the dust and grime w/ isopropyl alcohol, I let it dry, then eventually set it up after buying a new mouse and keyboard. Ran all the updates that had released during the hiatus, only to encounter numerous BSOD errors at random points.

“irql_not_less_or_equal” was the most common, but I also had “pfn_list_corrupt”, “memory_management”, “irql_gt_zero_at_system_service”, and “page_fault_in_nonpaged_area”. One of the instances of the last one, the file mentioned was ntfs.sys.

I ran chkdsk, the DISM cleanup, looked over every driver in device manager, checked the event viewer and reliability monitor, ran a memory diagnostic to check the RAM, and everything seemed to point towards corrupt system files, especially when the ntfs.sys error appeared last. I decided to bite the bullet and just reinstall Windows fresh since all my data was on secondary drives anyway, not the SSD that Windows was on, it just meant I’d have to reinstall applications which was a small price to pay imo. After the fresh Windows install, I let all the updates run, then installed my programs one by one, only installing the ones I knew I would be using and forgoing anything I didn’t feel was necessary at the time, and went to bed. Next day, everything seemed fine. Not a single crash overnight, nor any during the entire day I used it. The second day, however, the BSOD errors returned. The first IRQL, and the page fault error, at different points.

I’m genuinely not sure what else to do at this point. I assume it isn’t corrupt Windows files if the fresh install didn’t fix it, but if it isn’t the hardware, how would I identify what driver could be the problem? Literally the only new components are the keyboard (Corsair K70) and mouse (Logitech G502). Everything else is exactly the same as it was before it was in storage, where it worked perfectly fine.

If providing any logs or further information helps, please let me know. I’m fairly tech savvy, so I’m at a loss and didn’t know where else to ask for help.

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/gkc04bf3/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:MEMORY.DMP (Dec 18 2021 - 18:05:59)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:MEMORY2.DMP (Dec 20 2021 - 13:39:29)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
what are specs of the PC? what brand is the boot ssd?
most of the errors are memory related, whether that means its ram or ssd, is another question.

Claustric

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Here's the memory dump from the last time it had a BSOD -- I've tried another reinstall, this time using an ISO of Windows rather than the built in "reset" function in the troubleshooting menu, and there have been no BSOD errors since finishing that last night. It did have a hard crash moments ago, just reset in the middle of a youtube video, but no BSOD just a sudden unexplained restart.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zyv77lRjAJRvyrZH5kl50vQYKKaiYtGu/view?usp=sharing

It was set to create dumps automatically so I apologize for it not being a smaller one.

As for the PC specs, this is what I can provide:

MOBO: ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270
RAM: 16GB EVGA Superclocked (DDR3-1866 PC3-14900)
SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB SATA III
HDD: WD Blue 3 TB

There's obviously a few other components that don't matter as much -- the case, the PSU, etc -- but those are the basis of the computer.

I spent about 5 hours in a queue for Microsoft support and they agreed that it was likely corrupt system files, not hardware, hence another reinstall. I've also run multiple diagnostics on both the SSD and the RAM and consistently it's come back clean, so I'm highly doubting it's those components. Even the memory dump seems to imply it was a driver and/or Windows component related crash, if I'm interpreting it correctly. I'll continue to monitor and see if another BSOD happens, and it'll create a new one -- so far, only the sudden restart has occurred since the last reinstall, which isn't exactly a great thing since it leaves less information on the crash, but yeah.

———

Edit: New BSOD occurred. “kernel_security_check_failure”. New dump file is here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gzi36mtDk7z7ynbdW-MFLa6DMwNg79At/view?usp=drivesdk

Tried to run the driver verifier, and now my computer is stuck in a “driver_verifier_detected_violation” BSOD loop. Can’t fix it. Looks like I’m going to be grabbing a flash drive to reinstall Windows a third time.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Driver verifier is something I wouldn't have suggested until I had no choice, because of that boot loop

Did you clean install?

If BSOD are surviving clean installs its unlikely to be windows. you checked ram and storage, what else?
have you run memtest on the memory or just the windows memory diagnostics?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I have to ask a friend to convert dumps and he might be a while as one of his family members is sick right now.

What PSU? yes, it can matter as if its getting old, it can be a cause of BSOD as it powers everything and if its not as consistent as it used to be, it can make other things cause errors

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/gkc04bf3/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:MEMORY.DMP (Dec 18 2021 - 18:05:59)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:MEMORY2.DMP (Dec 20 2021 - 13:39:29)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: iCUEDevicePluginHost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)
Next time, please upload minidumps as instructed above. They are smaller and much less likely to be corrupt. Both of these memory.dmp files have issues.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/970_PRO_GAMINGAURA/HelpDesk_Knowledge/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 1001.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't expect gman to download the 179mb memory dump, you lucky he did.

are these dumps from current install or old one?

both occurred after the CPU had to check in ram

this can cause bsod - not saying it did, just it can
Nov 12 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

try updating icue, it crashed in 2nd bsod but it was victim, not cause.

i don't see EVGA ram very often

Claustric

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
First was from after the built in reset function, second was after a reinstall from the Windows .iso. Also, Corsair iCUE was as up-to-date as possible, I already checked that one.

I've now done a full reinstall (and reformat) from a USB Windows installation tool, and updated and reinstalled only what was necessary. Learning that W10 can open .iso files directly, I decided not to bother with Daemon Tools anymore just to eliminate an unnecessary app. Did have a new BSOD in the process: "unexpected_kernel_mode_trap". I was installing every program one by one before restarting, so I'm not sure if that could be the cause, but it was a one time event anyway. I'll run the memtest next and update my post with the results.

Also, I updated the system settings to only save a minidump (after the above BSOD unfortunately). I apologize for the filesize of the previous two.

Edit: Well, it’s on pass 1/4, and already 602 errors. That’s not a good sign. Does this pretty much confirm that RAM can go bad when completely inactive? I don’t have the money to replace the RAM, so if this confirms it is indeed the memory sticks, I guess I’m without a computer.
Edit two: 58% through the second pass, up to 2826 errors. This isn’t looking good. Could it be bios settings, or something I could potentially fix? Or am I just looking at having to replace the whole computer probably?

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
No need to apologize for not knowing that I have slow connection. We find that full dumps are corrupt more often, it could be when they are saved, uploaded, or downloaded that errors occur.

As for the memtest results, remove any XMP or other overclocking settings. Reset the BIOS to defaults if necessary (preferred). Test 1 stick at a time in slot 1 to confirm it's 1 stick or the other, or both. If you get any errors, go ahead and stop and try the 2nd stick of RAM. There's no need to continue once you get errors.