Question BSOD errors

Apr 28, 2020
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum so excuse me if the topic’s not right. But I am having problems with my new build. I built this PC in 20th of December, 2019. I looked up components, compatibility online myself and built it myself. At first it seemed it turned out fine. But then the problems began. Since then, i keep getting BSODs.

I’ll start with the components:
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (not overclocked)
-MOBO: AsRock B450 Steel Legend
-GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3200MHz (at first I overclocked them by activating the xmp 2.0 profile to run at 3200 with my mobo, because the steel legend supports 3200 ram frequency only overclocked)
-PSU: Corsair TX750M
-Storage: 1 ADATA 500GB SSD (not M.2)
1 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM

I have the box cooler on the CPU, which is the Wraith Spire. My Case is a Segotep Halo7 Plus, with 4 fans included. I usually get BSODs in games but it happened also while browsing the internet or right after i quit a game. Not all games give out BSODs but some are GTA V, Dying Light (a lot of crashes here), COD Modern Warfare (2019) and Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

At first I tought it had something to do with maybe drivers or MOBO ports. The reason is that, everytime i plugged my Headphones in, after some time, it would cause a BSOD. So I thought i needed to unplug them and see if that fixed it. It was a little better but the BSODs were still there. Next up, drivers. Recently, about a week ago, I installed some drivers from the MOBO website. It is a little better now but they still happen, only more rarely.

The temps are:
-CPU: around 40 degreee C while on desktop and about 65-70 while gaming. Normal load on the cores.
-GPU: based on the game. On COD Modern Warfare (which is the best looking game I have so far) the max was 85 degrees. On other games it could be lower. Normal load
-MOBO & RAM: around 40. So no problem there I think.

The BSODs are:
-MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
-ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
-CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
-SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: nvdldmkm.sys)
-PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (what failed:win32kfull.sys)
Maybe a couple more.

I have no damn idea how to fix it and when i search about the problems, it brings up something about drivers or memory. But I ran a memory disgnostics multiple times and it doesn’t find any problems with the memory. Could someone please help me? I am desperate! Thanks in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://tubbierarea.htmlpasta.com/
File information:042920-9593-01.dmp (Apr 29 2020 - 10:27:28)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GTA5.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File information:042820-8046-01.dmp (Apr 28 2020 - 10:50:56)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (BE)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GTA5.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:042620-8062-01.dmp (Apr 26 2020 - 08:58:16)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:042620-7500-01.dmp (Apr 26 2020 - 09:58:21)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:042520-8296-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 18:02:12)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NVIDIA Share.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450 steel legend/index.asp

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: nvdldmkm.sys)

you know, if i had noticed this 2 days ago... Try running DDU and instead of getting drivers direct from Nvidia, run windows update and let it find drivers for the card. they just older nvidia drivers, might be more stable.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

error one - netio.sys is mentioned in crash, this is a file windows uses for internet. I would look to replace the realtek lan drivers
Aug 28 2018rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

error 2 is also internet related. mentions afd.sys which is a file windows uses for networking
error 3 was Nvidia drivers
error 4 was likely nvidia drivers. mentions DWM.exe which is windows desktop manager. its job is to talk to GPU.
error 5 is unclear but could be either of 2 already mentioned.

I wish all BSOD posts were so clear.

Apr 28, 2020
OK, so, I repaired the realtek lan drivers but I never used DDU. Are there any safety precautions I should take? Like make a backup? And how should I use it? Download it, press Clean and restart and then what? Boot in Safe Mode and let Windows Update install the Nvidia driver? Also, thank you for the specific description. It's the most helpful description of my problems I ever got.

gardenman

Splendid
To use DDU, download it and the driver that you want to try. If you are going to try a driver from Windows Update, then you won't need to download the driver yet, just DDU.

Unplug the internet temporarily.

Run msconfig.exe and check the Safe Boot option. Reboot.

While in Safe mode, run DDU to remove all traces of the old driver. DDU uninstalls the driver (more thoroughly than the regular uninstaller).

Afterwards, open msconfig.exe and uncheck the box for Safe mode. Reboot back into normal mode.

Install the driver and plug the internet back up. Of if you are installing a driver from the Windows Update, go ahead and plug it back up and run Windows Update.

A backup shouldn't be needed for this procedure, however, you should already have a backup anyway just in case (for everyday use). If not, make one. You never can tell when things will go wrong, especially doing procedures such as this.

These same instructions (more detailed) are on the link Colif provided above.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Using msconfig to go into safe mode is a short way (yes) but I have seen people turn too much off in msconfig and left them unable to even boot.

Last time I ran it, I went into safe mode via advanced startup and it means I didn't change any settings in windows that I had to reset afterwards.

I did link to this guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I suggested the windows update drivers as they are older and should work with most cards.

Apr 28, 2020
Okay, so, I did it. The Realtek driver and used DDU to install a display driver from Windows Update. But before downloading DDU, while browsing the web, I got a "CRITICAL PROCESS DIES" BSOD. What should that be?

I'm trying out the new driver to see if it fixed the problems. I'll keep you updated. Thank you very much!

Apr 28, 2020
Ok, I'm trying to updoat it now. Until then, I got a Fatal Error in Modern Warfare. It did not cause a BSOD but it is very frustrating. Also, it;s not the first time I got this error. And it reads:
"Error code: 0x000000014117cd09 7623320 0xc0000005 ModernWarfare.exe
To contact customer service support, go to http://support.activision.com/modernwarfare"

Maybe It's not the right thread but I tought you could also help me with that.

Apr 28, 2020
OK, so it seems I got another BSOD while playing Modern Warfare. This time a PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA -_-. And I can't upload files to Dropbox because for some reason I do not have permission to my own files... But I will try more

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://despairfulmeat.htmlpasta.com/
File information:050220-9078-01.dmp (May 2 2020 - 13:56:23)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:CRITICAL PROCESS DIES BSOD.dmp (May 2 2020 - 10:02:00)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.dmp (May 2 2020 - 12:58:37)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Top 2 both look like GPU drivers, and yet that is after you ran DDU as I see the Drivers from Microsoft on dump 1 & 3 but the newer ones from Nvidia on Dump 2. So old drivers didn't fix it.

I thought Dump 3 was going to be GPU as well as it mentions DWM.exe which is the windows desktop manager.
Stack text talks about mouse presses?

i don't like guessing, have a look at 2nd post in this and follow the precautions - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Apr 28, 2020
OK, so, I ran the Driver Verifier and it crashed without even booting to windows. It was somewhat stuck in a loop. It went like that 3 times then Windows automatically ran the repair tool and i restored to a previous point. I've put the DUMP in the dropbox link below but also, yesterday night and today I got more BSODs (before using the driver verifier). I've also put them in the dropbox link. On the Driver Verifier I also followed the instructions and selected all drivers that were not provided by Microsoft. Also, in that BSOD loop, all I got was the stop code DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION but no specific driver in the brackets. Yet it added a dump file in the minidump folder. So I guess it helps you. At least I truly hope so.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8wh1yxgr0qe0vxx/AADjINFayTN1ZwcQO11Zs62ka?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Boot loops are the reason I don't suggest that lightly. I wish Microsoft could write testing software for drivers that doesn't also break their system.

I wish there was an easier way. Gardenman will probably read them later

Apr 28, 2020
I really don't mind doing whatever's necessary to fix these god damn problems but it seems nothing's working so far. I went away for 2 minutes from my PC just now and when I came back I found a black screen and unable to do anything except CTRL+ALT+DEL but even with that i couldn't restart it, so I forced it by pressing the restart button. Also, I think I forgot to mention the fact that maybe 2 weeks ago I got a problem with the display driver. (other than constant BSODs). After starting my PC, I could use it for like 1 minute, then the screen would start to flicker and turn black, to the point I lost control over it so I had to force restart it and it would keep happening. So I ran in Safe Mode, Uninstalled the Display driver and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver. It seems that fixed the flickering and black screen problem but not the BSODs. I'll keep using it because I have stuff to do on it. But I'll wait for further instructions and hopefully they will do something positive with these problems.

Colif

Win 11 Master
only suggesting this cause I haven't yet - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

it could be ram.. its worth checking. although it working fine in safe mode suggests it isn't. I just want to be sure. Everytime I don't suggest it, someone else comes along, does, and is right :)

I wait and see what dumps show now.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://oversizekiwi.htmlpasta.com/
File information:050320-8328-01.dmp (May 2 2020 - 18:39:23)
Bugcheck:QUOTA_UNDERFLOW (21)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OneDrive.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:050320-8250-01.dmp (May 3 2020 - 11:19:29)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VClone.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:050320-7515-01.dmp (May 3 2020 - 10:54:22)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:050220-7421-01.dmp (May 1 2020 - 17:15:18)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)
If you don't need "Virtual Clone CD" I would consider temporarily removing it while you wait for more answers.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Apr 28, 2020
Before doing that test, I just wanted to point out that I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and it detected no problems with my RAM sticks. But sure, I'll try the memtest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
memtest is more testing than the microsoft memory software

I would remove Vclone anyway since Driver verfier tripped over it, if memtest comes up clean. its from 2014 so if anything cause problems, it will.

ignores the 4th dump as its from 1st May... was wondering why you had the newer Nvidia drivers on there again...

Apr 28, 2020
Today I have a bit of free time to try and run memtest. But I was wondering, after I install memtest on my USB and ran it, will I be able to remove it and use my USB normally?