Question BSOD everytime i play a game !!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
hey everyone so about a month ago my pc start keeps restarting everytime i play a game , sometimes it doesnt but when it does it happen everytime i play , when it doesnt i keep playing any game without a BSOD, but mostly when i play pubg it happens most of the time, and sometimes it doesnt happen in any game , i would like u to help me guys thanks in advance, my cpu is 35 idle
when gaming 55

cpu: i7 6700k
gtx 970 oc
ram 16 gb ram, teamforce and viper
power supply thermaltake 550w
mobo z170 pro gaming

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Its z170 pro gaming
Not enough info, from googling can it be only one from Asus, but do not see those leds on that motherboard looking at the manual. Can do this,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

if you already have hwinfo just follow the steps, no need to download again. Otherwise a usefull tool anyway.

I feel like i really checked the pins and i dont there is any bent pins? Do u think this can be another cause? Like other than cpu? Even tho this happened after i applied thermal paste
See no bent pins as well, was only that crap that looked like corrosion in the socket, but if that is gone and the socket is clean hard to say why dualchannel won't work. Might be cpu or motherboard, might still be tension on the cpu made by the cooler. What cpu cooler used?

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
Not enough info, from googling can it be only one from Asus, but do not see those leds on that motherboard looking at the manual. Can do this,

if you already have hwinfo just follow the steps, no need to download again. Otherwise a usefull tool anyway.

See no bent pins as well, was only that crap that looked like corrosion in the socket, but if that is gone and the socket is clean hard to say why dualchannel won't work. Might be cpu or motherboard, might still be tension on the cpu made by the cooler. What cpu cooler used?
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake-S, R0)
4000 MHz (40.00x100.0) @ 3014 MHz (30.00x100.5)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
BIOS: 0231, 07/17/2015
Chipset: Intel Z170 (Skylake PCH-H)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1205 MHz, 18-18-18-39
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Patriot Memory (PDP Systems) 3200 C16 Series
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Team Group TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200
Graphics: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DirectCU II OC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: TOSHIBA DT01ACA050, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: TEAM TM8FP4256G, 250.1 GB, NVMe
Sound: Intel Skylake PCH-H - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: NVIDIA GM204 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19044.2075 (21H2)

im using cooler master hyper

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
BIOS: 0231, 07/17/2015
See you run a very old bios and probably first bios release, would be worthwhile to update to the latest version. make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for Intel first,

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

can run their ME Update tool as well, but this is a pretty old one,

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/B150M-F_PLUS/MEUpdateTool_11.8.55.3510_S.zip

might want to look if there is a later one.

For bios files,

Something else,

Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1205 MHz, 18-18-18-39
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Patriot Memory (PDP Systems) 3200 C16 Series
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Team Group TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200
Using the mixed ram might also contribute, maybe when in two channels the memory controller doesn't like the combo.

Last edited:

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
See you run a very old bios and probably first bios release, would be worthwhile to update to the latest version. make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for Intel first,

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

can run their ME Update tool as well, but this is a pretty old one,

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/B150M-F_PLUS/MEUpdateTool_11.8.55.3510_S.zip

might want to look if there is a later one.

For bios files,

Something else,

Using the mixed ram might also contribute, maybe when in two channels the memory controller doesn't like the combo.
Thank u for the reply mate and also i have 2 questions , how to update bios i know u can put a usb and stuff but where to find the bios it self and download it via usb ? The other question is what is pci memory controller and sm bus controller? Because i went to device manager and there like yellow triangle on both , does that matter ?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
linked the Intel assistant above as well so let that run and see if it finds newer drivers for your system, see after that if the triangels are gone. Oh well again,
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
do this first!

Linked the page to the bios files above. But again,
Will dive into the bios to show how to best update the bios file, will/might post later on that and mean the USB Bios flashback version of doing that.

Usually you download the latest bios file, then unpack it, put the unpacked file onto a usb stick, go into the bios, open the bios update tool (EZ Flash) in there and let it run. Best is to put the bios file onto an empty stick. Just let it run untill done!
Can read about it here, all methods explained,
bios flashback option as wel so i might not explain the whole process if there is no absolute reason.

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
linked the Intel assistant above as well so let that run and see if it finds newer drivers for your system, see after that if the triangels are gone. Oh well again,
do this first!

Will dive into the bios to show how to best update the bios file, will/might post later on that and mean the USB Bios flashback version of doing that.

Usually you download the latest bios file, then unpack it, put the unpacked file onto a usb stick, go into the bios, open the bios update tool (EZ Flash) in there and let it run. Best is to put the bios file onto an empty stick. Just let it run untill done!
bios flashback option as wel so i might not explain the whole process if there is no absolute reason.
[/QUOTEi had a feeling that 2 mins ( man this guy is the best legit ) lol man thank u really for ur amazing time , i will try all that , and what do u think bios can do? Like is it that important to update the bios? Thanks in advance brother

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
do this first!

Update: so i updated the bios latest version and everything seems working fine , when i turn on the pc i hear a bit of loud sound cpu i believe , and also now when i try to play any game like literally bsod when i just launch it , interesting but im glad that i updated it actually but still weird

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
Update: so i updated the bios latest version and everything seems working fine , when i turn on the pc i hear a bit of loud sound cpu i believe , and also now when i try to play any game like literally bsod when i just launch it , interesting but im glad that i updated it actually but still weird
Edit: well it works again i believe as normal but still no dual channel and stuff but anyway we willl see because i dont wanna buy a new power supply until this get fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.