Question BSoD followed by strange boot behavior (powering on then off)

Jan 11, 2023
Not really sure which subforum to post this in, as I'm not sure what hardware (if any) is malfunctioning.

Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
nvidia GeForce 780
2 internal drives; KINGSTON RBU-SC4 SCSI and WDC WD5001FZWX-00ZHU SCSI
16 GB RAM
Win 7
Motherboard and PSU info I don't have handy.

What happened is I got a BSoD, after which the PC started booting itself on, then off, every few seconds. After about a dozen cycles of this the PC finally stopped rebooting itself, and everything loaded fine.

No new hardware has been installed, and the only recent software change was an update to the GPU driver about a day ago. There have been at least two other BSoD events in the past two weeks, but afaik no reboot problems.

Any idea what might be causing this? Is it maybe just dust, or something more?

Lutfij

Titan
Motherboard and PSU info I don't have handy.
We're going to need them. In fact were going to need the make and models of both of them. For the PSU, additionally, add the age of the unit. For the motherboard, please state the BIOS version at this moment of time.

the only recent software change was an update to the GPU driver about a day ago.
Can you walk us through how you updated the GPU drivers?

Jan 11, 2023
I'm not able to crack the PC case open to get a look at the motherboard and PSU, although the PSU is fairly new (replaced it about two years ago). The motherboard is original to this build, and around eight years old I think.

The GPU driver was downloaded from nvidia's website and installed w/o their "Experience" software, using express settings and a D drive (non-boot) location for the temp files; driver version is 30.0.14.7411 (11/28/2022). The install failed once b/c Photoshop was running in the background.

(also, to reiterate: intermittent BSoD problems have been happening for a couple weeks, since well before the driver update)

edit- BIOS version is 2.7 ; American Megatrends 1101, 12/6/2013

Last edited: