BSOD & Freezing During Gaming

rajarang

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi there,

So I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my situation, and to start off I'm just going to list off my PC's specs:
- 2 Monitors running at 1920x1080 (HDMI) and 1680x1050 (DV-I)
- ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
- AMD FX-6300 six core processor
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 GPU
- 8GB RAM (2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance)
- Corsair GS 600 PSU
- be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 CPU Cooler

The problem I'm running into at the moment is, as the title says, freezing and the blue screen of death while running games and I'm having difficulty figuring out why. I've done some research but I'm not the most tech savvy person when it comes to the finer points of PC's. Currently what is happenning is that anywhere between 30 minutes to 4 hours of gaming causes either a freeze or a BSOD with apparantly no repeating pattern. For example, Diablo 3 runs just fine for any amount of time without freezes or BSOD, whereas Cities: Skylines will last anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours before freezing or BSOD.

It should be noted that I only recently ran into these problems starting about 2 weeks ago, around the time when I bought my motherboard, RAM and CPU as a pre-built, overclocked bundle from SCAN Computers. I would appreciate any and all information to help resolve this issue, thank you.

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
well, my instincts point to the overclock on the new components. a bsod is possible failure of a cpu overclock, cities skylines is heavy in cpu usage so it would be most likely to run in to this, and im guessing the retailer's testing doesnt go as deep as finding an issue like this. try backing down on the overclock or disabling it completely.

rajarang

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I'll be honest I don't really want to go messing with any overclock or BIOS settings unless neccessary since it'll void the warranty of the hardware since it was all done as a bundle but I'll look more into it when I get the time

TRENDING THREADS