Question BSOD Help

MalooTakant

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi, I've been getting some intermittent BSODs while gaming, generally when gaming and viewing a youtube video at the same time. The BSOD is not always the same but the most common is "Attempt to write readonly memory"

Here is the mini dump https://filebin.net/sjz7jddxpm3fo20h/072719-10343-01.dmp?t=n8cc1db5

PC Specs
CPU: i7-8700k @ 3.70 GHz
GPU: nVidia Geforce RTX 2080 ti FE
MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2x8) DDR4-4000
PS: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+
SSD/HD:
  1. Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 (primary drive)
  2. Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  3. Samsung ST31000528A S 1TB

I've checked my drivers and they all appear up to date unless I've missed some.
The only thing I've tried to remedy the issue is Updating my BIOS. I just did it less than 10 hours ago so no idea if that fixed it. However, upon updating my BIOS I discovered that I cannot boot the PC if I have my XMP profile enabled. This paired with the BSOD leads me to believe I have a bad stick of memory.

Any help is appreciated

edit: if it wasn't clear. Before I updated my BIOS I was using an XMP profile

Last edited:
Your exact memory model number wasn't specified. You'll need to check your memory model number on the QVL for your motherboard. Not being on the QVL doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work: It either wasn't tested, or it didn't work. Even if on the QVL, memory is one possibility.

The minidump identified faulting component was ntsokrnl.exe, so no help there.

Would try looser timings or slower frequency set manually on your memory.

The XBOX driver can cause BSOD in some circumstances

Recommend running without Razer software.

Download the Samsung magician software, test drive health , make sure the firmware is up to date.

MalooTakant

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Looks like my memory is not on the QVL. Model number is F4-4000C19-8GTZ

Can go without the Xbox device, but would be hard-pressed to go without the razer software. As I need it to assign the keys on my Razer Naga mouse. I do have Samsung magician installed already and according to that everything is up to date, although the HDD is unsupported.

I suppose my next course of action is to run a memtest. How concerned are you that the razer software is an issue?

4000 is a very high speed, much over official supported spec. Anything over 2666 is overclock territory, and thus YMMV. Set your frequency and or timings slower and see if that helps stability.

From threads I've seen on other boards, I would dump the Razer software. Google Razer BSOD or Razer Synapse BSOD.

TRENDING THREADS