[SOLVED] BSOD Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KingLouis

Commendable
Mar 6, 2017
Hi,
For the past month or so I've been getting 3-5 bsods a day with usually a few hours in between(or as little as 30min). Event viewer shows a critical event from Kernel-Power saying "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." That event is followed by an error event from volmgr saying "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." However, finder shows that MEMORY.DMP had been modified at the time of the crash. I've tried using driverbooster to update my drivers but that hasn't solved the issue. I also manually made sure my Nvidia drivers were up to date. I just changed the dump file type to mini-dump; I'll upload it the next time I get a bsod(If it generates).
Specs:
Windows 10 Version 1803
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 48.0 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (MEMORY.DMP is 1.6gb and it's not letting me compress it so I cant upload it. I'll upload the next minidump)

Solution
well, i wasn't expecting 2 wifi cards.

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

if you have 1903, you can do the source command to correct error found above
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

then re run SFC /scannow and restart PC

If you aren't on 1903, we can't run...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You did, its why i keep saying a clean install would fix it. As we can't do the dism fix, we can't do a repair install as the installer has to match the version its replacing. we can't do a reset as it would use the image files DISM fixes.

So you have a sick windows and it is likely cause of some of the errors. Reinstalling 1903 is one way to fix your errors.. maybe both types at same time.

KingLouis

Commendable
Mar 6, 2017
You did, its why i keep saying a clean install would fix it. As we can't do the dism fix, we can't do a repair install as the installer has to match the version its replacing. we can't do a reset as it would use the image files DISM fixes.

So you have a sick windows and it is likely cause of some of the errors. Reinstalling 1903 is one way to fix your errors.. maybe both types at same time.
Ok I did a clean install and im about to try to update to 1903 again tonight. Do you want my driver info again?

Edit: it downloaded and restarted and now windows update in settings says im all up to date but winver says im on 1803 :/

edit2: got it to work. im on 1903 now

Last edited: