Doomvor

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
So i just recently reformatted my hdd due to bluescreens from "attempted_switch_from_dpc" and started using an ssd , i have recently encountered the error again but it seems to only happen when i am using discord, any idea what could be causing this, i am thinking it might be my sound card drivers (as i am using a now discontinued sound blaster recon3di).

I can provide a few dmp files if necessary as well as any other information that could be helpful.

I am using a fairly outdated mobo (g1. sniper z97 with a 4790k and a 5700xt) I've done all the normal tests such as memory and chkdsk scans as well as dism and have come up with no irregularities.

It happens more often when i am streaming/watching a stream on discord but does happen every now and again when just using discord in general. I've narrowed it down to basically discord being the culprit but i am unsure as to why it is the culprit.

Sometimes it happens when i'm playing a game, sometimes it just happens randomly, it's not very consistent.

the dmp files indicate the issue is possibly all over the place (its indicated ndis.sys or ntkrnlmp.exe on different occasions), it makes no real sense to me.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anwg_zGu6cDVhiMbPXgPnfyUbt9t?e=iv5Xh5
This is a onedrive of my most recent minidump of the bluescreen due to edf5.exe while i was streaming on discord.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

gardenman

Admirable
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/jcherfod/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:022221-5421-01.dmp (Feb 22 2021 - 01:21:38)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC (B8)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: EDF5.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/G1Sniper-Z97-rev-1x
There's is 1 BIOS update but it's unlikely to help you. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 10 Master
that is an unusual error, i am not sure i seen it before

my initial reaction to unusual errors is check ram
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

i can see error relating to lan drivers (i was hoping it wouldn't s finding newer Killer drivers might be difficult)

Last edited:

Doomvor

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
I'll try the memtest next chance i get, in the mean time i was watching a video on youtube and got a bsod with the same error (attempted_switch_from_dpc)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anwg_zGu6cDVhiUkq0rmvdgTz0D1?e=mR1g4x
the following is another dmp file i've uploaded to onedrive pointing towards the probable cause of ntkrnlmp.exe which is pointing towards process chrome.exe

I will try the memtest and report back, thank you.

Last edited:

gardenman

Admirable
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/v1omqgb9/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:022321-5437-01.dmp (Feb 23 2021 - 05:09:31)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC (B8)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Doomvor

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
i can see error relating to lan drivers (i was hoping it wouldn't s finding newer Killer drivers might be difficult)
Could this be a probable cause?
My mobo has a built in E2200 which isn't updated on the regular anymore.
The thought crossed my mind to remove the killer networking software, wipe the item in device manager and reinstall it with the files from gigabytes website. (or maybe run it with the auto-install drivers that windows installs when it detects the hardware as that was what i had to do before due to a bunch of non-paged pool memory leak nonsense due to the killer network manager stuff)

The blue screens seem random, sometimes they happen within hours, sometimes within days, other times within weeks, but there is decent amounts of network traffic when it happens.

As far as I was aware Attempted_Switch_From_DPC is sometimes caused by driver issues.

So my only thoughts are that it could be a corrupted windows installation or bad network drivers, i usually keep my drivers as up to date as i possibly can, perhaps one of the newer drivers for the network card (developed by microsoft and not rivet) doesn't mesh well with my setup?

I'm more throwing out possibilities rather than saying these are the case. I'm fairly stumped on this issue and have been working for a few months to try and pin down the problem.

To preface, I've had this build for 5 years (aside from the 5700 xt) and didn't have any issues with blue screens until around the beginning of 2020, but they were sparse and intermittent so it didn't really bother me (they happened maybe once every 4 months), but now that i've moved over to an SSD and reinstalled windows, the bsods have been anywhere from every few hours to every week (i've had this current setup since the start of 2021), so the only thing i can think of is that a more up to date driver i have installed since the reformat is causing the issue, the network card possibly being the prime suspect, but that's just supposition as i am not certain of the actual cause.

I did get an ndis.sys bsod a week or so ago (also attempted_switch_from_dpc) but it pointed towards ndis.sys instead of the current ntkrnlmp.exe

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anwg_zGu6cDVhiHUaFnAOqb9Y_Vw?e=Yja743
this is a one drive for the ndis.sys error i got 2 weeks ago btw, not sure if it would illuminate any issues.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS