Question BSOD in Windows 11 when launching games or rendering ?

Jun 28, 2023
Hey there everybody, I have been having nothing but issues with my PC build since I updated my components and OS.

Specs
I9-13900k
2X32gb DDR-5 Corsair Dominators 5200
MSI 2080 Gaming trio
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite
Corsair Water Cooler
Corsair RM1000x

Backstory

I decided to upgrade my editing rig from an old i7 8700k to an I9 13900k. The only original parts at this point are the case and the water cooler. When I updated my components I decided to "upgrade" from windows 10 to 11. This was not a fresh install as it was done via windows update in the settings.

Symptoms

I edit videos and create graphics for a living and I use Adobe products for that task. When using premier, after effects, and media encoder I get program crashes and occasionally BSOD. This seems to be more consistent depending on what codec the files are in when editing. For example older h.264 creates next to no performance issues. Where the newer beefy h.265 is a guaranteed way to crash the program. Same with prores files. The larger the project gets the more likely it is to crash. When exporting is has been a gamble as to if it will render out or just crash but recently it just crashes withing 15 seconds of starting the render process. I thought maybe it was something to do with the Windows 11 install. So I created a back up drive and did a fresh install of 11. This did not help the problem. I started looking into other options such as Ram and testing it using memtest86. No success in finding a faulty stick. I went ahead and ordered another kit of ram and swapped it out. Same issue and zero difference in length of time for failure to occur. I then got a replacement MOBO. Once again the problem persists.

After looking into my total power consumption I figured out I was around 740 watts so I decided to try out a new beefer PSU the RM1000x over the 750 I had in it. Still no change in the issue.

This is not only an issue with adobe products. I can't get games like destiny to even load up.

BSOD messages I have received.
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
PAGE_FAUL_IN_NONPAGED_AERA (what failed: nvlddmkm.sys)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

There might have been more error codes, but I was not able to catch all the blue screens before it restarted.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When I updated my components I decided to "upgrade" from windows 10 to 11. This was not a fresh install as it was done via windows update in the settings.
Reinstall the OS from scratch, fabricate the installer for Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tools, then install the OS in offline mode. Manually install all drivers for your platform in an elevated command once OS install is complete.