Question BSOD IRQL Not less or equal problems

mtracy1991

Reputable
What are your specs?

Run memtest86 to make sure your RAM sticks are good, faulty RAM can cause this error. If the RAM is all set, then try reinstalling your GPU drivers. If your BSOD still exists, I would suggest uninstalling your GPU drivers and installing the version prior to the up-to-date drivers and see if that makes a difference. My last step would be to reformat and see what happens.

May 14, 2019

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Nod9.html

File information:051419-35593-01.dmp (May 14 2019 - 07:34:39)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athw10x.sys
Probably caused by:athw10x.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

Try updating the Qualcomm/Killer Networking drivers.
athw10x.sys Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver

System: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/N551JB/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 204). You are using version 201. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct system. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 14, 2019
I've ran 1 cycle of all tests of memtest86 which were passed with flying colours. According to gardenman's post i should update my bios. I am indeed using the N551JB. Is there anything i should know before i go to the webite of asus?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
May 14, 2019
I've also had many connection issues so it probably is the driver of the network adapter.
I just installed the 11n driver from killer on the Qualcomm.
I will report back in a day if it worked out.

May 14, 2019
And another blue screen. This time it is an System thread exception not handled though, with athw10x.sys as process if I remember correctly. It seems the windows update didnt like the new driver software.

I will upload this minidump as well. The minidumps were uploaded in the order i got them, with the latest being the system thread exception

Colif

Win 11 Master
damn it, why did i comment... why does it always do that... shakes fist at sky :)

I will wait for gardenman, really good chance he asleep now

so its still saying the atheros driver even after the update?

try running a program called driverview. change its options to only show non microsoft drivers, I am curious what date its showing for that driver.
upload screenshot to an image sharing site and show link here

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/4K82.html
File information:051719-33000-01.dmp (May 17 2019 - 04:09:50)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:051719-32671-01.dmp (May 17 2019 - 05:16:09)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:051719-31125-01.dmp (May 17 2019 - 05:44:26)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Driver view shows date of 1/5/19 for both parts of the Atheros drivers
athw10x.sys & btfilter.sys

the dump file shows dates of
Dec 09 2015 btfilter.sys Qualcomm Atheros BT Filter driver
Aug 02 2017 athw10x.sys Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver

same system, they should be the same? Sure looks to me like they are old drivers masquerading as WIn 10 drivers.

all 3 BSOD continue to blame same thing, looks like you best of getting a new wifi adapter

May 14, 2019
Why are you linking to WAV files? What do you expect us to do with those?
Those are just some soundfiles for your entertainment.

Driver view shows date of 1/5/19 for both parts of the Atheros drivers
athw10x.sys & btfilter.sys

the dump file shows dates of
Dec 09 2015btfilter.sysQualcomm Atheros BT Filter driver

Aug 02 2017athw10x.sysQualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver

same system, they should be the same? Sure looks to me like they are old drivers masquerading as WIn 10 drivers.

all 3 BSOD continue to blame same thing, looks like you best of getting a new wifi adapter
I've started up device manager and identified the problem. What happened was that a windows update restored the old driver software, while not deleting my old driver. I'm currently reinstating the killer driver for my wifi adapter. Is there any way to prevent windows from overwriting the killer driver and keeping the driver up to date? I think it is strange that before the windows update everything worked fine.

Last edited: