[SOLVED] BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and KERNAL blue screen Windows 10 (64 bit)

Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

I put up a thread last night about some BSOD issues I was having. Along with some help here on how to create dump logs, I also after a while, was running stable with help from a friend who had me remove all the hardware including the cmos battery for a fresh reset. I set everything back into the tower after an hour or so today and was stable for a about 4 hours after at first just testing the ram sticks one by one with both POSTING and loading bios, then POSTING with both sticks added. Then added SSD, then added gfx card and was stable playing WoW for a bit. When I came home from dinner taking a break, screen was black and could not even get bios to post again. I did however after instruction from the helpful person here to get some dump logs using Option 1 of his suggestions. I also in the meantime have updated windows to H21 with the SSD back in my older unit, created a USB bootable drive for W10, updated gfx drivers using DDU (while deleting old drivers), and have been letting my newer tower sit with the hardware removed and battery out. I have also been using the 1060 gtx in the older unit and so far no issues with any failures or blue screens.

One thing to mention I have an older and newer tower which could be the culprit as I took the SSD out of the old unit, and put it in the new unit at the advice of a local computer repair shop tech whom I worked with at one point, told me it was safe just to put the SSD in, and make sure to just use windows update for anything else. He also tested the components in this tower for me to make sure they were good as I was buying this pc from a friend that did not have an ssd in it, he was keeping his for data. Seemed to work for the last two years, but as of a month ago into this month, I started having problems. Here is a link to 2 new logs today and one from July...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpvhggj4v3b8ca0/minidumps.rar?dl=0

Dumps appear to be gfx driver related?

Here are the specs for old and newer units (mind you hardware is not new per se)...

Old
700w Corsair PSU
Phenom II 965
asus m488t-a
660gtx
16gb ddr3 1333 8x2
500gb ssd crucial

Newer
850w evga psu
I7 6700k
asus z170
1060 gtx 6gb
16gb ddr4 2400 mhz 8x2
SSD from Previous Unit (no reinstall of W10)

Update...
So the ddr4 ram, one is Gskill and the other Crucial. The Gskill Ram won't even get me a post to bios anymore. The crucial stick will stay on for maybe 10 secs on the bios screen then restart and will continue this post loop.

Last edited:
Solution
using 2 different types of ram at same time can cause problems, mainly from timing differences.

maybe take GPU out as well, see if it will boot with bare minimums. try unplugging ssd and boot off USB.

I didn't realise you bought it 2nd hand.

I also in the meantime have updated windows to H21 with the SSD back in my older unit,
never updated win 10 in another pc before so I am not sure if it might have loaded drivers for the other pc in the update process. i don't think this would be reason pc isn't working now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
using 2 different types of ram at same time can cause problems, mainly from timing differences.

maybe take GPU out as well, see if it will boot with bare minimums. try unplugging ssd and boot off USB.

I didn't realise you bought it 2nd hand.

I also in the meantime have updated windows to H21 with the SSD back in my older unit,
never updated win 10 in another pc before so I am not sure if it might have loaded drivers for the other pc in the update process. i don't think this would be reason pc isn't working now.

Solution
Aug 9, 2021
So far I've only been trying to post using gfx and one stick of ram. I'll try just the ram then. One stick.

Update. One stick with no card posted. But said there was no keyboard. Plugged the keyboard in and nothing. It's a steel series one, apex 5. Restarted and now no post.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, upload the actual minidumps as they will contain much more info than the 3 files that you posted. You may have to copy them to your desktop or somewhere else before uploading due to file permission issues.

The last one did mention the NVIDIA drivers as being an issue. You said you used DDU and installed the latest drivers, but have you tried other drivers? Either a driver that is slightly older, or one from Windows Update may be better.

Aug 9, 2021
I have not even been able to get back to the desktop garden man. I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers using another pc. I can't even get a Post without the SSD or any external components plugged in. Just the one stick ram will post. That's it.

I backed up the files I want so even willing to do a fresh install using the USB boot drive if I can get to that point.

Reactions: gardenman
Aug 9, 2021
So I can get a consistent post with the one stick of crucial ram. But second I add my keyboard it won't post. At all.

Does that sound PSU or Mobo related?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021
Tried a working PSU from my other unit that is not even 3 years old with maybe only using it a year and tested just yesterday ok the older tower. Turned on for maybe a second a posted, but after that, no dice. Screen went black with components still turned on.

So def Mobo or CPU related in which I don't have other components to check. I can't get a stable posting at all.