BSoD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in Windows 10

joegarland96

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi there,

I've been getting the BSoD multiple times today with the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I've received other error messages but this seems to be the most reoccurring. I've tried multiple techniques to try and fix this but all have come up fruitless. I'd highly appreciate if someone could help me out.

The minidump can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dIeAPTWHBxS91T3NtuzhVxuysnPWVcIE

PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
MoBo: ASUS Prime B350
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR 2666 MT/s
PSU: Cooler Master G750M PSU

A little bit of context incase it helps:

This is my first experience with BSoD on my new PC (built a little under a month ago), everything has been pretty smooth prior to this. The most recent installation I had was Microsoft Office 2016, about an hour before my first BSoD whilst playing the game Overwatch. I had tried recovering my other version of Office 2016 (backed up from old PC) but for some reason it wouldn't work at all (failed to start) so I just simply left it. Fastforward a couple of weeks to today and I download it from my university, it installs. Figured this might be worth mentioning, apologies if it's just nonsense. Also I've noticed the crashes seem to be GPU related in some way. Whenever I try to boot a game, I crash. When trying to update the drivers for the GPU, I crash. I've updated the drivers for my MoBo without problem.

As for fixes, I've tried installing/reinstalling drivers, removing programs such as my old version of Office, restoring system to previous date (which just caused a BSoD, even in safe mode), and I finally resolved to restart my PC. I wiped programs/apps but decided to keep personal files but even that failed as I'm still getting crashes (it didn't crash during restart), so now I'm at my wit's end.

Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks.

Solution
system bugchecked when windows defender encountered memory corruption while access a file held in memory.

since your motherboard vendors has so many updates I would just go here:https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/
and update the BIOS and motherboard drivers
then apply all of the Microsoft windows updates.

I would also turn off virtual memory to get rid of your hidden c:\pagefile.sys then reboot and turn on virtual memory again (just so bad compressed drivers are not stored)

you might also run memtest86 after you do the updates if to confirm your memory timings.
(I don't think it Is the problem)

all of the motherboard vendors updates would indicate the vendor knows there is a issue and have...
system bugchecked when windows defender encountered memory corruption while access a file held in memory.

since your motherboard vendors has so many updates I would just go here:https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/
and update the BIOS and motherboard drivers
then apply all of the Microsoft windows updates.

I would also turn off virtual memory to get rid of your hidden c:\pagefile.sys then reboot and turn on virtual memory again (just so bad compressed drivers are not stored)

you might also run memtest86 after you do the updates if to confirm your memory timings.
(I don't think it Is the problem)

all of the motherboard vendors updates would indicate the vendor knows there is a issue and have attempted fixes

machine info:
BIOS Version 0902
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 09/08/2017
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product PRIME B350-PLUS
Processor Version AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4100MHz
Current Speed 3600MHz

Solution