BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal while playing games

honestly8

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello!

I built my computer a few months ago and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on it.

I've been having problems with the computer for a while now. It seems to happen only when my system plays more taxing games like Fallout 4 and Witcher. It started with my graphics drivers crashing, and after I reinstalled multiple drivers, including graphics, Realtek audio and LAN, chipset drivers, it now gives me a BSOD with the title "IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal." I ran Memtest86 on 4 passes and my RAM came up with zero errors. I monitored my GPU's temps while playing games and it was always a steady 72 C at high loads, so it isn't overheating. Prime95 ran fine for 12 hours as well.

The crash seems to vary based on the intensity of the game. Witcher crashes it in around 30-60 minutes, but Dark Souls 2 crashes it in 2-3 hours. Games like CSGO and Dark Souls 1 have never crashed it.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 380X
MB: MSI Z97 PC Mate
RAM: Patriot Viper, 4 x 4 GB, 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M Power Supply
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I am under the impression that my GPU might be failing in some way, but if anyone could analyze my dump files and maybe shed some light on my situation, I might be able to avoid doing an RMA on the card.

Here is a link to my most recent dump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr6j1nagmpnp14k/083016-8140-01.rar?dl=0

honestly8

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
When I reinstalled my graphics drivers, I completely wiped the old ones using DDU. Also, if I tested all 4 of my RAM sticks at once, wouldn't it have shown at least one fault?

most likely the bugcheck is just caused by the 5 copies of overclocking drivers installed. I would remove them all and see if it fixes the problem.

-------------
system bugchecked because a driver tried to run code at memory address zero. (bad memory address)

you have several problems with your system, for starters you have many different copies of overclocking drivers running.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Command Center\DDR\NTIOLib_X64.sys Mon Nov 26 02:11:53 2012
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Super Charger\NTIOLib_X64.sys Thu Oct 25 03:27:58 2012
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Fast Boot\NTIOLib_X64.sys Thu Oct 25 18:46:44 2012
C:\MSI\Smart Utilities\NTIOLib_X64.sys Mon Mar 17 03:24:03 2014
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\RTCore64.sys Fri Apr 24 00:01:47 2015

this driver can also corrupt system memory:
SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ScpVBus.sys Sun May 5 14:31:26 2013

looks like you are also running your own activation server. (indicates pirate software)

honestly8

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Thank you a bunch for pointing all of those out. I'll be sure to uninstall all of these unnecessary overclock software. How would you recommend I remove the corrupt drivers? The SCP.sys is from a program I use to get my PS3 controller working on my computer. I'm pretty sure I'm not running an activation server, I got this copy of Windows 10 legitimately from my university?

honestly8

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Ok, I have uninstalled all MSI and Intel bloatware and uninstalled SCP for my PS3 controller. I also updated my graphics drivers to the newest version. I'll let you know if the problem is fixed.

Also, could you please elaborate on the Activation Server thing you said? Where exactly is this occurring, and can I remove it?

(I would not worry about the activation server if you have a education version, I did not see that in your message)
it could just be your education version of windows they look like they have a activation server installed that fakes product activation. a education version should go to your school and confirm your license.

the hacked version of windows, the system is modified so when it checks for a valid license it never goes to the product activation servers but there is a process on the local machine that responds that the license is good. the hacked versions tend to block updates and disable the commands to fix your system.