Question BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Feb 20, 2019
Hello, I'm getting BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, when I'm using Ableton.

I thought this was maybe a hardware issue as I started getting BSOD from time to time since I installed an SSD and a hard drive caddy for a HDD that goes instead of the cd player.
I'm on a dell latitude E6410 with windows 7.

So I got rid of both SSD , cd rom caddy and HDD and installed a new SSD with bigger capacity. I cloned my old hard drive onto my new hard drive. And I'm still getting BSOD. Can you help me find what is causing my trouble ? Now i'm thinking it may come from my windows installation.

thank you very much

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It's hard to tell. For start I suggest you run Memtest for some hours just to rule out ram problems.

If I understand you correctly, you get the same BSOD regardless of what SSD you're using?
Have you considered using a regular HDD just to rule out disk controller problems?

Have this BSOD ever appear when using other software on that computer?

Feb 20, 2019
i Just installed my new SSD, so far it happened only when i was using Ableton Live.

However, before i changed my SSD it used to happen anytime. Sometimes when i was not doing anything.

But when it started to happen, it happened when i was using audacity or ableton, so i thought it had something to do with the temp cache folder. So i moved my cache folder from one drive to another. But it still happened.
Also, one really weird thing, it almost never happened when I was using my computer at home(it happened actually at my place but like only 1or 2 times) .
But it happened very often when i was plugging my computer at other places. At friend's home or other places... So I thought it might be an electrical problem...

When you say memtest, do you mean memory diagnostic from the windows boot menu ? I run one before changing my SSD and everything went find.

I'm sorry it is very confusing.

I didn't try to only the HDD. Although you are right that I didn't have blue screens before i installed the SSD. When I installed the SSD I did a fresh install of windows, and this time I tried to make a fresh install but every time i installed windows and got updates and rebooted I got stuck in a infinite restart repair loop. I tried 3 times to format the hard rive and install windows again and got stuck every time. So I finally cloned my hard drive instead of making a fresh install. That's why I'm thinking now it comes from my windows installation.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Just go for Memtest. It is not a part of Windows, it a standalone tool - just google it. Or find a friend that can conduct the test for you.

It may be other defects to motherboard or drivers, but that is much more labour intensive to troubleshoot so that is why I want you to check tre ram.

Feb 20, 2019
I run memtest86+ for 25 hours (!), downloaded it from this site : https://www.memtest.org/

it didn't give me no error, here is a screen cap at the end :

After 25 hours of running this, i cam back home, pressed ESC. I got a blue screen before windows start. The computer rebooted several times with blue screens... It was very hot after being running for 25 hours. I turned it off, turned it on again 30 min later and got blue screens and reboots again. I finally managed to get windows to start buy selecting "use last known good configuration" in the boot manager menu

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ok, so it's not the RAM that fails.

The shortlist now will be:

- Bad driver. Get a update of the audio driver. If it indeed is the most recent, maybe it help to revert to an older version.

- Failure in the motherboard itself. Ok, troubleshooting the mobo itself is nearly impossible, but you can narrowing down the failure by using a completely different system that won't rely on WIndows drivers.
Therefore I suggest you try to boot to a Linux live-cd, preferably one that have Audacity included - the Ubuntu Studio distro will probably have it included. Then you can use Audacity for a while and see if it triggers a fatal error or not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Windows 7 1