Question BSOD Issues - 3 Day Old Build

Jan 29, 2020
Hi everyone, hate to join just to ask for help, but I'm stumped. I just finished building a new computer, had it up and running for day (did all my drivers and Windows updates), it crashed out on me while playing a game for a couple of hours and have not been able to reboot into windows since. I've tried booting in safe mode using the 3 power cycle method as well as trying to boot from a USB which has the Windows 10 installer on it.

Build is as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
CPU: i7-9700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 2x16GB in dual channel (A2/B2)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair RM750x
SSD: Crucial P1
HDD: WD Black 4TB

I've tried pulling both hard drives individually to see if I could boot from the USB and have had no luck. I have also bypassed the GFX and am running off the integrated graphics. I have checked the RAM voltage in XMP and draw 1.5V. The variety of errors I get are as follows:

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap
Attempted Write to Readonly Memory, with a what failed of CI.dll
IRQL Not Less or Equal
Kmode Exception Not Handled, with a what failed of Ndis.sys

I'm completely lost on where to go, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention that before I pulled the SSD tonight, it was not showing up in the BIOS yesterday under the NVMe manager, so not sure if that is related as I had been booting off it before the crash.

Jan 29, 2020
Minidump file?
Unfortunately can't get that since I cant get windows to boot.

Could be a just a simple as an installation issue. Check all your connections and reset RAM. If that doesn't work try booting with one stick of RAM and/or reseating your CPU.
Will try that when I get home.

Since the computer is only 3 days old, could I just reformat both drives and try starting over?

Jan 29, 2020
Ok, haven't pulled the CPU yet, but have tried resetting the RAM chips and booting with only 1 plugged in (tried both of them independently), same result. Have the GFX card unplugged, no change. Have also pulled both the SSD and HDD to see if it will boot off just the USB, same result. If resetting the CPU doens't fix it, does that mean either the board or CPU is bad?

Jan 29, 2020
Try booting to safe mode and copy the dumpfiles into you external storage drive and upload here. The dumpfiles contains many useful information about the cause of problem.

I can't, unless there is another method besides trying to interrupt the windows boot 3 times in a row, which has not been working.

Jan 29, 2020
Okay, can you open command prompt?

Does not seem like it since the USB still doenst want to boot, but what I did do is flash my bios to an older version, and now the only BSOD I get is inaccessible boot drive when it tries to boot of the Recovery Partition.

I am currently remaking the Windows 10 Media on the flash drive to see if its an issue with the media. If not, I'm going to do a full wipe on both drives (DBAN) and start fresh as I think I may have screwed up one of the drives when testing them on another computer.

Edit: I pulled the SSD again and tried to boot of the remade USB and will the board is not reporting any errors, it seems to get stuck at the Windows loading screen

Last edited:

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Does not seem like it since the USB still doenst want to boot, but what I did do is flash my bios to an older version, and now the only BSOD I get is inaccessible boot drive when it tries to boot of the Recovery Partition.

I am currently remaking the Windows 10 Media on the flash drive to see if its an issue with the media. If not, I'm going to do a full wipe on both drives (DBAN) and start fresh as I think I may have screwed up one of the drives when testing them on another computer.

Edit: I pulled the SSD again and tried to boot of the remade USB and will the board is not reporting any errors, it seems to get stuck at the Windows loading screen
As I saw your motherboard manual in page no. 5, there is an LED debug port at bottom of your motherboard which shows code. When you are struck what code does it show? Does it show AO?

Jan 29, 2020
So I reverted the BIOS back to the current version (F9) and I get an inaccessbile boot driver error. When I plug the USB in to try and boot off of that (UEF), I get any of the following:

1, System thread exception not handled
  1. Page fault in non paged area.
  2. Driver IRQL not less or equal
  3. Memory management
  4. Kmode excpetion not handled
  5. Kernel security check failure
  6. System thread exception not handled, wmilib.sys is what failed.
Right now I am in an endless boot cycle just recording the errors as they come up and I am completely lost. It seems like a driver issue at this point, but since I cant seem to get into windows, I have no way to update or revert back. Any thoughts?

Edit: I created a windows 10 recover drive off my old PC and the USB and windows still won't boot, but I did get a bit more info on the BSOD's which I updated.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
Everything seems to be pointing to your memory. What is your RAM model number and verify you have the correct voltage going to you CPU.
RAM model is F4-3200C16D-32GTZR, CPU voltage is 1.26, which seems in line. BIOS is reading 2133.33 MHz and 37268MB at 1.212V for the RAM. The BIOS does have the RAM turned down to 21.33, so the frequency is correct.
try to find a way to memtest each ram stick and they where on board qvl list .
Best way to do this would be find another compatible board and test it right? I'm checking the QVL, and the F4-3200C16D is listed, but not the -32GTZR, does that matter?

Jan 29, 2020
Follow-up to my previous post, I enabled XMP and the voltage does go to 1.35V and 3199.23 MHz, so performance and voltage are correct.

Edit: One thing I am noticing is my CPU is running at 4.6 GHz instead of 3.6 even though I have not messed with any of the overclock settings yet.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
Final post on the night, was able to run memtest (booted off a flash drive) and oh boy did it fail. Failed on test 6 with 10,108 errors and aborted the test due to too many errors. I ran the test with both RAM chips set for dual channel. Should I even bother trying to run a single chip to see if only one is bad, or should I just exchange them?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
So I got the new RAM and that did not actually solve my issue. Still got an Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap BSOD when I booted up this morning. Could be another bad RAM chip or possibly the board?

Got home and tried again, got an inaccessible boot driver error. Tried booting from the USB, and get a Kernel Security Check Failure and a Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
Sorry for the double post, but I ran memtest86 again and it failed on test 6 again (64 byte block move) and test 7, moving inversions, 32 bit.

Is it really possible that I got another bad batch of RAM?

Jan 29, 2020
Ok, sorry for the necro, but I RMA the board, got it back, and still have the same issues. Could it be processor related or is it possible gigabyte did not actually fix the issue with board?