Question BSOD Issues - 3 Day Old Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 29, 2020
Hi everyone, hate to join just to ask for help, but I'm stumped. I just finished building a new computer, had it up and running for day (did all my drivers and Windows updates), it crashed out on me while playing a game for a couple of hours and have not been able to reboot into windows since. I've tried booting in safe mode using the 3 power cycle method as well as trying to boot from a USB which has the Windows 10 installer on it.

Build is as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
CPU: i7-9700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 2x16GB in dual channel (A2/B2)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair RM750x
SSD: Crucial P1
HDD: WD Black 4TB

I've tried pulling both hard drives individually to see if I could boot from the USB and have had no luck. I have also bypassed the GFX and am running off the integrated graphics. I have checked the RAM voltage in XMP and draw 1.5V. The variety of errors I get are as follows:

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap
Attempted Write to Readonly Memory, with a what failed of CI.dll
IRQL Not Less or Equal
Kmode Exception Not Handled, with a what failed of Ndis.sys

I'm completely lost on where to go, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention that before I pulled the SSD tonight, it was not showing up in the BIOS yesterday under the NVMe manager, so not sure if that is related as I had been booting off it before the crash.

Jan 29, 2020
is this still the case? thats a massive overclock when you didn't set one?
have you updated the bios on motherboard? reset it to defaults?
Yes, its still the case, correct, I haven't set it. I had previously flashed the bios back to a previous version and restored back to factory. All my CPU settings are currently set to auto, so no sure where the over clock is coming from.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jan 29, 2020
Jan 29, 2020
Double post, tried running Prime 95 from a USB, but then got this error upon selecting a couple of the different CPU tests (I tried multiple times). Also, I did change my storage boot from UEFI to legacy as the directions say.

I did also try launching other tests such as memtest and bios, and that started no problem, so its not an issue with the flash drive I made.

Pic of error: Kernel error

Last edited:
They actually did not, SN of the board I received back matches the SN of the board I sent.

You may have to buy a new motherboard. Gigabyte and ASUS are not (IMO) nearly as good as MSI and ASRock about simply replacing motherboards when there is a question of fitness for use. If the board passes their basic testing, they'll just send it back to you. All of the rest of this stuff is a waste of time if the board is no good AND we have seen many instances of Gigabyte and ASUS sending back the same or different but still broken motherboards, even recently, to members of this forum and moderation team.

Unfortunately, this makes it very hard to recommend purchasing motherboards from those manufacturers. I'd contact them again and ask for an elevated contact with a higher level of technical support. Explain that you've sent the board back and had the exact same board returned to you with no explanation of why or what was done to determine it was not faulty. Explain that the board IS faulty, because you've eliminated everything else that could possibly be wrong other than the CPU and a faulty CPU is VERY uncommon. FAR less common than the probability of a motherboard or memory failure UNLESS it was damaged though user error during installation or it was horrifically misconfigured somewhow in the BIOS.

Usually it is a case of bent pins, usually, if the problem is the CPU itself. You may need to purchase another motherboard unfortunately, in order to absolutely determine that the first board is bad and that the CPU is or is not bad.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think op has windows on PC either, its why I was offering the bootable version of Prime95

I just finished building a new computer, had it up and running for day (did all my drivers and Windows updates), it crashed out on me while playing a game for a couple of hours and have not been able to reboot into windows since. I

this appears to be last mention of working windows. ALl attempts to get in have failed. Can't get to safe mode from boot menu anyway. Have to be able to at least get to login screen before the option exists.

PC only worked until he turned it off first day.

Jan 29, 2020
i have learned most of the time a Kernel panic when running from USB is caused by the USB itself, so try making it again and see if it happens again.

I did do a successful remake of the USB and got a kernel error again when trying to boot Prime95. Other non CPU tests are working off the flash drive.

Can you download and run Cpu-Z: https://www.cpuid.com/
Post screenshots of the Cpu and Caches tabs.
Examples:
View: https://imgur.com/OrTmUhq

View: https://imgur.com/N5LRuWQ

Also, from where did you purchase the cpu?
CPU was bought from newegg and was working for a day or so. I'm not able to run CPU-z as I'm unable to boot into windows.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I did do a successful remake of the USB and got a kernel error again when trying to boot Prime95. Other non CPU tests are working off the flash drive.

CPU was bought from newegg and was working for a day or so. I'm not able to run CPU-z as I'm unable to boot into windows.
Shucks, sorry.
I figure it's either the motherboard or the cpu... currently un-explainable mobo defect, or by chance, you got your hands on an Intel ES sample - if none of the pins in the socket are bent.

Since he's running off the integrated CPU graphics, the chances are very low that the CPU is to blame. It's possible, but unlikely. It is FAR more likely that the motherboard is to blame. If there ARE any bent pins, and the manufacturer didn't catch that when it was sent to them, then I'd say that Gigabyte shouldn't be selling or servicing motherboards anymore AND anybody who sent a motherboard for RMA with bent pins, and didn't realize it, and didn't call out the manufacturer for sending it back saying it's fine, should probably also not build their own systems.

It seems likely that is not the case here or somebody would have seen it and called it out. So it's likely something else on the motherboard that has failed. If it hasn't been FULLY benched yet, it should be.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for all the replies, I will definitely try the motherboard bench tomorrow. Also, to confirm as Colif pointed out, I do have windows 10 installed on the computer, but windows repair tools refuses to launch on its own, from my install USB and from doing the force restart 3 times. I have tried it multiple different ways, including with no HDD's connected, just the platter, and just the NVME (drive windows is installed on), so I have ruled out any hard drive issues.

I have also started the RMA process for the CPU just in case it is actually the CPU.

Do you live someplace that has local repair shops? If so, you can probably have that CPU tested for like ten to twenty bucks. Might be better than going through an RMA just to find out, again, that is not replaced because they say nothing is wrong with it.

I won't say it is NOT the CPU, because I have seen CPU failures a few times on my bench and a few times on this forum, but the number of times it was ANYTHING other than the CPU, are like 2000:1.

The number of times it was the CPU, AND the integrated graphics were working, in my experience, is zero. Anything is possible though.

It seems likely that there is a problem with the PCI or SATA bus on your motherboard. That COULD be CPU related, but is probably a motherboard issue. It's likely that if your motherboard WAS tested by Gigabyte, it was tested for CPU and memory function only. I seriously doubt that any storage devices were connected to in during the testing process.

Jan 29, 2020
Do you live someplace that has local repair shops? If so, you can probably have that CPU tested for like ten to twenty bucks. Might be better than going through an RMA just to find out, again, that is not replaced because they say nothing is wrong with it.

I won't say it is NOT the CPU, because I have seen CPU failures a few times on my bench and a few times on this forum, but the number of times it was ANYTHING other than the CPU, are like 2000:1.

The number of times it was the CPU, AND the integrated graphics were working, in my experience, is zero. Anything is possible though.

It seems likely that there is a problem with the PCI or SATA bus on your motherboard. That COULD be CPU related, but is probably a motherboard issue. It's likely that if your motherboard WAS tested by Gigabyte, it was tested for CPU and memory function only. I seriously doubt that any storage devices were connected to in during the testing process.

So I finally had a some free time to go through the guide you posted earlier and I seem to be getting an error with the CPU. When I trigger the power, the CPU indicator light on my MB comes on, which if I'm reading my MB manual correctly, means that there is actually something wrong with the processor.

Jan 29, 2020
Pull the CPU. Check for CPU cooler mounting that has come loose and is tighter in some spots than others, mounting hardware broken for the cooler, or bent pins on the motherboard CPU socket. Anything that looks out of place.
I had actually pulled the CPU prior to benching today and none of the pins looked bent. CPU cooler I also remounted (water cooler) and the fan was spinning when I powered up the computer. Standoffs for the cooler look good and are straight.

That sounds like a motherboard issue. It's possible for it to be a CPU issue but it's extremely rare. Did the CPU look like it had been opened or used at all when you got it? Or the motherboard?

Are you 100% positive you are lining up the CPU correctly in the socket? Are you sure the problem isn't something like this? Be sure to read the WHOLE thread, so that you can fully understand how this guy got scammed.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-won’t-fit-in-motherboard.3411892/#21632440

Jan 29, 2020
That sounds like a motherboard issue. It's possible for it to be a CPU issue but it's extremely rare. Did the CPU look like it had been opened or used at all when you got it? Or the motherboard?

Are you 100% positive you are lining up the CPU correctly in the socket? Are you sure the problem isn't something like this? Be sure to read the WHOLE thread, so that you can fully understand how this guy got scammed.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-won’t-fit-in-motherboard.3411892/#21632440
Ok, well Im a dumb dumb, looks like I had seated the CPU slightly wrong or something, because now I get a C1 on the LED, which is marked as reserved in my manual (actually C0-CF is reserved), but at the same time, so the DRAM status LED is lit, so I continued with guide you had posted and installed a RAM chip in the A2 slot. That gets me to the bios screen with code A6, "Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices." CPU frequency is still showing as 4600 ish MHz in the bios, but voltages seem to be correct for the CPU and RAM.

I skipped the graphics card step since I know its not related (plenty of BSODs without the gfx installed). Added the second RAM chip and changed the voltage as suggested from 1.2 to 1.21 it seems to fluctuate by about .01~.015V.

Now this is where the fun begins, I mounted my boot drive, Crucial P1, and get a BSOD, system thread not handled, let it power cycle, force the drvie to boot again, get the spinning WIndows wheel and get inaccessible boot drive, not big suprises here. I remove the Crucial drive and hook up my SATA drive which has very limited sofware installed on it and does not have any windows files on it, and the computer goes straight to bios, I can see the SATA drive in my IO ports. So last step, I get my Windows 10 installation USB, which I have remade multiple times since getting these BSOD issues, but not recently, and I get A0 on the board LED with a BSOD system thread exception not handled. I let the computer power cycle on its own, force a boot from the flash drive, and another system thread exception not handled which then power cycles in a page fault in non-paged area.

As far as everything being new, yes, everything still had seals on it and none of the hardware I received look used when I opened it (still doesn't really). I bought everything from either newegg or best buy and the notches are in the correct spots.

Edit: Random question, off topic to the issue at hand, but about thermal paste. NZXT Krakens come with a paste pre-applied, since I have seated and unseated the CPU and cooler a handful of times now, should I just remove all that paste and apply my own? I have been cleaning the paste off the chip each time, but not the cooler.