BSOD Issues after waking from sleep

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Hello, everyone!

I have been having issues waking my PC from sleep for months now. For example, yesterday I received "page fault in a non paged area", "System Thread Exception Not Handled" and most recently "Windows Stop Code: Memory Management" after putting my PC to sleep three different times.

First I thought this was a driver problem, but all my bios, driver and windows patches are updated. Then, I resat the RAM, ran windows memory diagnostic tool and sfcscannow. No problems with any of those. Likewise, in the summer, I ran memtest and did not have any issues there either. At the advice of helpful people in the memory section, I upped my DRAM voltage, but still no fix (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3237036/memory-set-correctly.html is my thread there)

Can anyone help?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

I strongly suggest doing a full test of your RAM using Memtest86 or any similar program with a bootable cd or USB. It might detect issues the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool cannot see.

Almost all errors like this are because of RAM. Also, for a page fault error, I strongly suggest checking your hard drive for issues. Use the manufacturer test tools, Speedfan or CrystalDiskInfo

I suggest you use your HD makers tools to test their smart and others to ensure this isn't a virtual memory issue. What is your PSU and more importantly is it haswell compliant? If its not haswell complaint then you need to turn off your CPU sleep in power management.

Windowsusers

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Seems like you have tried everything mentioned here but still getting the same Blue screen occasionally. Drivers and RAM are the major cause of such BSOD but that is out of context in your case atleast.

I would suggest you to Restore your system to the point when it was working smooth without these disturbing Blue screen errors. But you require to have a restore point created at first place.

If nothing helps, then ultimately you should do a fresh windows installation. I do fresh install time to time to eliminate tons of corrupt files and misbehaving programs error.

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Natsukage - I will run memtest shortly for 4+ hours and also use crystaldiskinfo to check my harddrives.

elbert/ko888- my PSU is a Corsair RM750x (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139142). Also, I am running skylake

Windows- I am afraid of that. I do not have any restore points created.

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I opened crystaldisk and it said all of my drivers were "good". Is there anything else in that program I should be running? My pc is running 4 passes of memtest at the moment which I expect to take a while

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

I'll try malwarebytes now. Do you reckon my dram voltage and everything is in line?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
afaik, nobody ever managed to repair memory management errors with dram voltage up to now... If you have no malware or the likes, I've heard that a defective PSU can do this.

Try hwmonitor, and check the voltages perhaps?

Also, there's a new BIOS for this, even more recent than 1A, the 1C:
https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#down-bios

If you know how to update the bios, I suggest you can change for 1C.

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

I appreciate your continued help my friend. I just flashed over to 1A through live update. I read how to USB flash to 1C but I've never done it before, so I am a little wary. I will put my PC in sleep now and see if maybe this update fixed the problem. If not, I will flash to 1C and hope that does the trick. If that doesnt, then I will probably throw the PC out of the window and cry myself to sleep.

If the problem is only happening when waking up from sleep state then I would be suspecting the CPU or motherboard.

The memory controller resides in the CPU. The CPU gets its power from the CPU VRM circuit on the motherboard. Seeing that how four MSI Z170A motherboard models occupy the top four positions as the most failure prone Z170 chipset motherboards on the market I'm not surprised you have a problem.