BSOD issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_andalf

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hello,

Earlier today, I was running Windows Vista business 64-bit and Windows 7 beta, both worked fine. Now when i try to boot to vista, i get a black screen that says there isn't sufficient data to operate, so it boots to 7, and BSOD's.
I'm running a Dimension E520 with 3.0 gHz Intel Pentium D, 2 GB memory.
The BSOD error is STOP: 0x00000024 (0x000c22D2, 0x00000010, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Can anybody help me? I have a fair amount of knowledge with computers, but not alot when it comes to this, so try to be specific please. Tried running safe mode too, still BSOD.

Thanks

Andalf

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The Google-fu is weak with this one ...

Sounds like your NTFS has corrupted. Throw in the install disk and run chkdsk repair from cmd prompt. Try repair install. Try replacing your ntfs.sys using this old XP walkthrough http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531 ...

If you can't do that / doesn't work, hit up google with a 0x00000024 search. Loads of results pop up; seems a lot of people have success with Knoppix.

master_andalf

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply, It is not a hard drive error, because i bsod after trying to boot from the cd too. I searched through google and didnt really find anything that was similar to what i found.

stalag13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I am having exactly the same problem (even the same STOP codes). Like you, I get the error regardless of whether I boot from the DVD or the Windows 7 installation (tried safe mode, repair mode, etc. with same result). I have gotten it to work again in the past by booting into the XP Recovery Console and running chkdsk, but it eventually happens again. I don't think it is a hard drive hardware problem, rather some corruption caused to the NTFS file system by software. Did you ever figure out a solution? If so, please share. If not, let's compare our systems and setup to see what we have in common...

I have the NOD32 v4 Beta installed, so that is my first suspect... Any chance you are also running that? Other than that, I pretty much only have the Zune 3.1 software, PlayOn Media Server, and all the latest Windows 7 Updates. If/when I get back up and running, I will post a more complete list if needed.

[UPDATE - chkdsk found and fixed "one or more errors" and now Windows 7 boots fine. We'll see how long it stays up this time...]

stalag13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
It did not stay up long. Once it got to the Windows 7 login screen, I plugged in my Zune then left it, as I was going to login remotely from my laptop in another room. When I fired up Remote Desktop just a minute or so later, it failed to connect,and I figured that meant another BSOD. I was right. I am doing chkdsk again. This time I will log in to the PC directly and not connect the Zune, as I am now wondering if perhaps its software is tied to the BSOD in some way... We'll see.

stalag13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Right. What is strange is that (once the BSOD first occurs) it will then occur even when I try to boot from the Windows 7 DVD. As such, I can't even perform a repair install. This leads me to believe something more than bad HDD sectors may be going on here.

shayr1992

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
4 primary partitions? Delete one and make an extended one in its place, solved my problem. "Backup the data on the partition you'll delete first so you can restore it later. If you can't boot into an OS to do this use GPartedLiveCD.

I think it is a problem with Windows 7 seeing 4 primary partitions as only people with W7 have had this problem and Windows XP on another partition worked fine while W7 suffered with this problem.

stalag13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks. I will try that. I actually only have 3 primary partitions on the HDD at issue--one for XP (which still works fine), one for the original "HP_RECOVERY" partition (probably should just dump it at this point), and one for Windows 7--but I bet 3 is also a problem if 4 is...

I created the Windows 7 partition out of free space in the original XP partition using GPartedLiveCD, so it is no problem for me to use it again to try your suggestion... I will update this thread once I have accomplished that.

stalag13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Unfortunately, that didn't work. Even with only one primary partition (XP--I deleted HP_RECOVERY) and an extended partition with one logical drive on it (Windows 7 Beta), I still eventually get the STOP error and BSOD. It is very frustrating. I have tested the HDD using the WD Data LifeGuard Tools and, as I suspected, it passed every test without error. I have purchased another SATA drive to install in my PC so that I can install Windows 7 to its own primary partition on it. We'll see how that goes.

ecjb1969

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I'm having the same issue. However, the first BSOD gave an error about kl1.sys. I recently installed the beta of Kasperski AV, after which this stuff started happening. I can access the drive using System Rescue CD www.sysresccd.org. This also gives me a minimal registry editor. Is there a way to disable Kaspersky since I can't get into system repair or anything? Once I even got it into "Safe mode command prompt." I had enough time to type "dir *.cpl"before it BSOD'ed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.