BSOD-Kernel Data Inpage Error

manjit0912

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hello, my computer was running fine the past week but now I am been suddenly getting BSODs. I am using my computer normally, sometimes playing games and the entire screen freezes and then few seconds later I get a BSOD saying "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR", sometimes the BSOD just says "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have to restart my PC and it says "No bootable device insert boot disc and press any key", and even in bios it doesn't detect my hard drive. I then have to turn off the power supply switch off and on for it to recognize my hard drive again and be able to start windows. I will be glad to provide any more information. Please help me, thank you.

34eq0ip.jpg

Solution
It's almost certainly a failing hard drive - possibly a problem with the drive's control electronics rather than with the magnetic media itself (it could conceivably be a problem with the PATA or SATA interface on your motherboard but this is less likely given that it does not get resolved by simply rebooting the system).

I would recommend backing up any important data as soon as possible and looking into whether your drive can be replaced under warranty. (It might be a good excuse to get a bigger, faster drive anyway, even if it is still under warranty - you can always use the warranty replacement as a second drive!)

Stephen

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
It's almost certainly a failing hard drive - possibly a problem with the drive's control electronics rather than with the magnetic media itself (it could conceivably be a problem with the PATA or SATA interface on your motherboard but this is less likely given that it does not get resolved by simply rebooting the system).

I would recommend backing up any important data as soon as possible and looking into whether your drive can be replaced under warranty. (It might be a good excuse to get a bigger, faster drive anyway, even if it is still under warranty - you can always use the warranty replacement as a second drive!)

Stephen

Solution

manjit0912

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Hello Stephen, thanks for the reply. I have done memory and hard drive tests and haven't got any errors. I even did a full disk check. I also had a ssd which stopped showing up in bios and recently sent it to the company for rma. I am currently using this hard drive until it returns. My motherboard is brand new, less than 2 weeks since I got it, my computer ran perfectly the first week, and now I am having the BSOD I stated. Is there any way I can make sure it's a failing hard drive?

Jacob123Micheal

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Step1) Click “Start”. Go to search bar and type “cmd”.

Step 2) Right click on “cmd” and choose “Run as Administrator”.

Step 3) Type “chkdsk c: /f/r” and then press “Enter”. Before chkdsk executes, continue following prompts for typing ‘y’ and then press ‘Enter’ for restarting computer systems. chkdsk command check C: drive for all possible errors. Besides, “/f” fix errors found on hard disk drive, and then “/r” recover useful info from bad sectors on hard disk and segregate these sections so that they can’t be used later.

Step 4) Restart your PC. No more Kernel Data Inpage errors are fund in Microsoft Windows.