Question BSOD (Kernel_Auto_Boost_Invalid_Lock_Release) Need Help identifying an issue.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 20, 2021
I have been having a multitude of blue screens nearly daily for a while now, My mobo died a while back and thought it would stop if I replaced that, but it didn't stop, replaced my RAM recently and that didn't stop it, and my CPU is a newer Ryzen 5 3600. My GPU is the oldest part, a Radeon Vega 56 Blower style, but regardless of the replacements and such, I haven't been able to identify the issue. I haven't noticed much of a commonality in the crashes, they seem pretty random. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated, I really don't wanna waste more money and I need this PC to work well for college school meetings.

Here's my dump files from the past few days, this should cover a large amount of the various crashes I'm experiencing: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jay83s8bm8owxtn/AACR5ihcLGdSXG2AQShEorxva?dl=0

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/n5do3eL1/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:020921-9468-01.dmp (Feb 10 2021 - 00:49:45)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ene.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:020921-9093-01.dmp (Feb 10 2021 - 00:42:33)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NemuDrv.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so top one is blaming ene.sys which is a rgb driver common to most motherboards now.
2nd is blaming Hyper V which is part of Win 10
I doubt either of these are the cause, regardless of what its saying. Windows functions don't cause windows to crash, normally.

I know you got new ram but can you check it for me. I know it was bought to fix problem but have to be sure.
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if its not ram, it might be that drive you want to replace. Or CPU since memory controller on CPU.

Jan 20, 2021
so top one is blaming ene.sys which is a rgb driver common to most motherboards now.
2nd is blaming Hyper V which is part of Win 10
I doubt either of these are the cause, regardless of what its saying. Windows functions don't cause windows to crash, normally.

I know you got new ram but can you check it for me. I know it was bought to fix problem but have to be sure.
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if its not ram, it might be that drive you want to replace. Or CPU since memory controller on CPU.
Alright, no errors showed up on the memtest on either stick, I'll run a Prime95 tonight to check CPU, although idk if it would show up even. Anything else recommended for testing? I did chkdsk on all drives, but ig if it's a hardware issue with the drive, that won't solve it.

Jan 20, 2021
It's a Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb, drive health says good. I do have 3 other drives in though. One's Corsair Force SSD, one's a generic Harddrive, one's a Seagate Firecuda. OS Drive is the Samsung, dunno if the others would have any effect.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
So, a couple things. One, Magician said drive was good. Two, I ran Prime95 tests and it crashed my PC within 5 seconds of starting the test 3 times in a row. I think it's probably a safe bet to say it's my CPU. I'm going to check on my AMD warranty on it, but I also have squaretrade protection on it.

Jan 20, 2021
I see nothing out of the ordinary in Stress.txt. results.txt shows this
Code:
[Sat Apr 04 12:51:13 2020]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 5.302716738e+011, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4756846845, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[Sat Apr 04 13:00:41 2020]
But this is from Apr 4 of 2020, so I don't even think it's running long enough to register an error before the PC itself crashes.

Jan 20, 2021
Ah ok, should I try raising the CPU voltage now then? When I ran it before it didn't do much and I wasn't as knowledgeable as I am now, so that's why I didn't do that.

Jan 20, 2021
Ok, so I tested my drives, they're all fine (The tools could test my HDD as well). On the note of my CPU, I raised the voltage slightly until I could run Prime95 without it crashing in the first while. I had to raise it from 1.1 to 1.1625 to get stable results. It lasted 10 minutes until I stopped it because temps went above 105C and I don't wanna cause more issues by running at such a high temp. That's a much better improvement on 5-15 seconds though. No errors or warnings came across during that test. I'll continue to use my PC like normal and see if it keeps crashing randomly, but I'm hopeful that this is it.

Reactions: Colif
Jan 20, 2021
So unfortunately, it is still crashing, but. It seems to be less common, and it seems that it's more stable. This being that the game/
whatever will freeze, the drivers time out and I can submit an AMD bug report, but the next time I launch the game, it usually gives a BSoD. I'm wondering then if it could also be my GPU, as well as the problem I hopefully just fixed. Here's the dumps if you want to look at them. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mTfrbysL_ooAbVpKS2bdYj6Uxh4Y2pYY?usp=sharing (I know the dates are pretty close together, it just happened that way, it was stable for a while.) I have not updated the BIOS yet however, I might try this after making a backup BIOS flash drive just in case.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/mnjsghza/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:022021-37531-01.dmp (Feb 20 2021 - 17:42:15)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: sqlservr.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:021921-76203-01.dmp (Feb 19 2021 - 19:44:15)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:021921-59187-01.dmp (Feb 19 2021 - 13:30:40)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (F7)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: iCUE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 20, 2021
Alright, thank you. I did notice that after the BIOS update, the error light for the CPU on my MSI Tomahawk MAX B450 did light up, so I called Squaretrade to file a claim and it was approved. They said I just need to take it to a repair shop and hopefully they can do something about it. I'll be reimbursed and all that jazz, so we'll see how this goes.