Jun 12, 2021
A lot to unpack, I'll try to be brief
5 year old self built PC - I'm good with hardware, not with OS
  • Z170
  • I7 6th gen
  • 1070 asus ROG Strix
  • Ripsaw 4s
  • Win 10
Got BSOD, using resets I was able to pull up the BIOS and do some cleaning, updating, anti malware, seemed fine, went to game, no video from card or internal HMDI or DVID to monitor or tv and could not get video output.
Took it to local shop - have confidence in them
  • They can recreate the problem, can't troubleshoot, board is so old they don't have one
  • tested the video card, said they didn't have issues
  • recommend replacing board, maybe chip.
Upgrade to z490 and 10th gen i5, keep everything else the same.
everything is fine for a few days, just internet surfing

First time i go to game, BSOD, didn't catch code, it states it will reboot, does not reboot, I hard reboot, no video signal again.
So before I start replacing anything else...local shop t...could it be power supply related? Do we think the video card is actually the problem?
I removed the card, tried to run off the MOBO, still no video output. It may be loading, no idea.

Original parts are the Ripsaws, power supply, SSDs (which checked out - I defragged, ran a bunch of "fix it" programs when it loaded up with the new chip and MOBO.

So before I start replacing anything I need some input,.

Help?

Solution
Supernova weren't bad (although there were few models of them), but yeah, can't really see other source of this problem. It could be motherboard but since you swapped it, seems very unlikely.
As for good PSU, can't go wrong with Seasonic, Corsair RMx (and few other models)
5 years old PSU? What model it is? If it's anything below top quality I'd strongly suspect it as a culprit.
Btw, did you reset CMOS before trying to run video off the mobo? If not do so. EDIT: Actually, does your new CPU has integrated graphics to even try that? Not every 10th gen has ....

Reactions: GunmetalGray00
Jun 12, 2021
It has integrated graphics...ASUS Z490 - p
I did not reset CMOS, will try this now if I can find the jumper on the board (have not done this before).

The power is what I suspected. My thinking was this:
Everything is fine until the video card needs more power to perform additional functions or power the fans in the card.
It's an EVGA 850 gold. Should i try using a different slot ont he supply? I have spares, I also have spare VGA cables for it. Should I just swap them? PITA, but I think it makes sense.

Jun 12, 2021
Sorry, I5 10600k, it has a 630 graphic chip according to the notes.
The PSU is listed as a Supernova

I pulled the CR battery from the board, reinstalled, vidoe card is installed, was able to get video signal to BIOS. Once p0ast BIOS...it died did it again, this time listened to Power supply at start up...clikcing. Lots of clicking.

What replacement PSU should i get?

Supernova weren't bad (although there were few models of them), but yeah, can't really see other source of this problem. It could be motherboard but since you swapped it, seems very unlikely.
As for good PSU, can't go wrong with Seasonic, Corsair RMx (and few other models)

Reactions: GunmetalGray00
Solution
Jun 12, 2021

I see Corsair highly rated here on Toms, thanks for the assist.