bsod+locked minidump folder so no reports to check

theimortal1974

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
this morning my computer had reset. there was no minidump so i didn't think anything of it. there was bad weather the night before and i thought maybe there was a power outage. it happened again this afternoon, still no minidump. i get home tonight and yet again the computer had reset AGAIN no minidump. i finally noticed the minidump folder had a lock icon on it. i deleted the folder and created a new one, ran a malware and virus scan as well. will have to see if it resets again during the night.

has anyone heard of a malware/virus threat that locks the minidump folder so you can't tell what caused the crash?

Power outages do not generate minidump files, they are only generated for system, hardware & driver errors causing system crashes (BSODs).

The lock icon on the "Minidump" folder is perfectly normal, indicating that the folder has access restrictions assigned to it unless system is logged on to your own Admin user account. You'll find other system folders also have the lock icon, for example the "LiveKernelReports" folder above the "Minidump" folder, and several others.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with malware.

theimortal1974

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

no i meant that because there was no minidump and the fact there was really bad weather the night before i thought maybe the computer had reset due to a power outage. so the locked folder doesn't have anything to do with the fact that there are no minidumps being saved in the folder? it says read only which would make me think nothing could be saved in it including minidump files. my last windows fresh install has been a few weeks and there have been about half a dozen minidumps since so this doesn't have anything to do with a new install.