Question BSOD Loop after installing ram

Jan 19, 2023
Hello!

I recently purchased new Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8 gb) sticks from a trusted site. (Model number: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
I installed them, but after that i got a bluescreen on startup. I wasnt suprised, im a novice and expected my windows to BSOD and then work afterwards.
This did NOT happen. My pc continuously loops the startup into the bluescreen, until it recognizes an issue and recommends me to fix it, or turn off the pc.
Then i decided to try booting the pc with just a single of the new ram sticks. (8 gb, as i had before) This worked! The pc runs normally. I tried swapping slots and even changed to the other ram stick, no issue. When i use ONE ram stick in ANY position, it works. However, as soon as i try to use the second ram stick, the pc endlessly bluescreens. I have no idea what could be causing the issue.

I have acces to BIOS
I use the MSI Z270 PC MATE motherboard
NVIDIA 2060 6 gb graphics card.
I have not yet tried changing the voltage, unsure if this is the issue.
I tried turning down the ram speed from 3200 to 2400, to no help.

I am very confused. Does my pc not support not support these new ram sticks?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Read your motherboards manual. If you use 2 out of 4 memory slots, they need to be in the right slots. Mine are labeled as a1 a2 b1 b2 , with one ram I have to use a2, with two rams, I have to a2 and a1.

Jan 19, 2023
Read your motherboards manual. If you use 2 out of 4 memory slots, they need to be in the right slots. Mine are labeled as a1 a2 b1 b2 , with one ram I have to use a2, with two rams, I have to a2 and a1.
The manual wants me to use DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 if im using 2 ram sticsk. I used this configuration, and even put them in the specific order that was written on the motherboard. Could this be a power supply issue?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
The manual wants me to use DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 if im using 2 ram sticsk. I used this configuration, and even put them in the specific order that was written on the motherboard. Could this be a power supply issue?
Not likely a power supply issue. Are your memory contacts bright and shiny. If not rub the contacts with a pencil eraser and thoroughly remove the debris. Never touch those contacts with your fingers, they can corrode pretty fast. You can return your memory and get some on the list for your mobo. Crucial makes it easy, I never had a problem with their memory in the past. I think Ballistix is their high end but it may be too pricey for you. They ask for your motherboard and guide you into memory they already know works. I hope their reputation is still good. I believe it's micron's memory. They have lots of experience, been around a long time. You might go that route and get to the bottom of this. It's almost like your chipset can't handle a heavy load with your memory and it throws the timing off. On the other hand the mobo itself could be bad. I hope my advise isn't a shot in the dark but makes logical sense.

Last edited: