[SOLVED] BSOD loop in Windows 10

Dec 11, 2022
I need help

my system is an Alienware Area 51 R2 with the following specs:
  • Intel® CoreTM i7‐6950X (10 cores, 25MB cache, Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
  • 32GB RAM (quad channel DDR4)
  • 512GB SSD + a 4TB storage drive
  • triple Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X video cards, each with 12GB GDDR5
  • Windows 10
the system is about 6.5 years old
also relevant: i have only a rudimentary understanding of computers

For some months now, I have been getting occasional BSODs, say maybe once a week. Usually while running games, or sometimes YouTube videos, but also sometimes only running audio or just word processing. Various different error codes. I thought maybe it was a driver issue, but I checked my video card driver and every other driver I could think of, and they all showed up to date.

More recently, I've been getting much more frequent BSODs on launching one particular game (AI War 2 on GOG, if that's relevant). It got bad enough that I decided a more thorough review of drivers was in order. I ran Windows Driver Verifier, rebooted, and immediately fell into a BSOD loop. I had made a restore point before starting Verifier, so I immediately restored to that from the recovery screen, and went back in to Verifier to confirm it was off. However, the BSOD loop continued. I cannot boot normally without a BSOD. I can boot in safe mode.

I am getting a variety of different error codes in BSOD, the most common being:
  • KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION
  • BAD POOL CALLER and
  • PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
Without belaboring the history of my attempts to fix, here are the things that I have tried so far (not necessarily in order):
  • reset CMOS
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (no errors)
  • Memtest86 (like 10 passes, no errors)
  • Windows System File Checker
  • DISM
  • chkdsk
  • checked drivers in Device Manager
  • double-checked drivers using Driver Easy (which showed some needed updates that Device Manager did not, don't know why they're different; updated everything)
  • virus scan
None of that worked, I still can't boot normally without entering a BSOD loop.

I also tried Reset Computer (to reload Windows) from the recovery screen, but it wouldn't do it from the cloud and i don't have an installation disc locally.

Also, my restore point from before running Driver Verifier has disappeared.

Can anyone suggest a course of action? Please? I've tried various forum searches and the like, and most of the suggestions I found are in the above list of things already tried without success. From the error codes I really thought it was a memory issue, but memory is the one thing I've tested most thoroughly and it passes consistently. The only thing I can think of left to try is factory reset my entire system, which I'd rather not do unless there is no other option.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Solution
I don't let anyone run Driver Verifer without taking steps to get out of that boot loop.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you were willing to reset, try a clean install - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
might be only choice if you can't start

Anything you want to save off C?

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Keep...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't let anyone run Driver Verifer without taking steps to get out of that boot loop.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you were willing to reset, try a clean install - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
might be only choice if you can't start

Anything you want to save off C?

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Keep wondering what PSU you have

Solution
Dec 11, 2022
thanks for weighing in! pursuing the clean install now (all my user files are backed up)

re: Driver Verifier, yeah, lesson learned; i thought that reverting to my restore point would be enough to escape the boot loop, but no

and since you asked: PSU is an Alienware 1500w

Dec 11, 2022
thank you for the idea!

however, since my last reply, i have an update:
while trying to do a clean Windows install, i got this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon."
subsequent investigation using WMIC confirms my SSD's SMART data is predicting failure

am i correct in thinking that a failing SSD is likely the cause of all my problems? (computer problems, anyway)

Dec 11, 2022
in case anyone was wondering how this thread turned out . . . .

replaced the SSD with a brand new Samsung 870 EVO; clean install of Windows 10; put everything back together

so far, the system is stable; it boots normally and no crashes yet

many thanks to Colif and johnbl for sage advice