[SOLVED] BSOD loop, no safe mode, keyboard and mouse not working

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Last night my Windows 10 PC started freezing while running videos. I guessed that this was a sign that my Seagate hard drive had problems. I only bought it a few months ago to replace my older HDD, but it had been making the same clicking noises that my old HDD was making before it stopped working.

So today, while my PC was still working, I backed up all my data and ordered a new HDD.

Then I tested a game (Mirrors Edge) and my PC went into BSOD, attempting repairs, checking the disk, but just going into a loop of restarting.

I kept getting a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED error.

At one point, the PC restarted into a weird grey screen with criss-crossing lines across it.

After that I find that I cannot get into Safe Mode, and my mouse and keyboard don’t work. All I can do is press the restart button and shut it down.

Is this more than a hard drive issue? Motherboard failure? CPU?

Any ideas how to fix it would also be appreciated.

I’m running Windows 10 Home edition 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M USB3
CPU: AMD FX 4350 quad core processor, 4200 Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 series

It’s an old computer (except for the HDD), so I won’t be surprised if it’s not just the HDD that’s had it.

Solution
what PSU have you got? How old is it?

If seagate drive is only a few months old, its always possible its the PSU causing the hdd to die.

On one of my old PC, before I knew having a good PSU can actually extend life of parts (or at least, not kill them prematurely) I went through a period of time where I was getting dead drives. At the time I blamed the hdd and swapped to another brand and never had problems again, but that may have coincided with me getting a new PC with a better PSU... as I now see it was more likely PSU killing my drives. MY 1st few PC were lessons in what not to do :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
critical process died can be caused by a range of processes so its not exactly easy to identify just from error. It can be files necessary for windows to actually continue working or boot.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

Lets try running chkdsk
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter
2 paragraphs might pop up.
Press Y and enter to agree to run at restart if it needs to

while in command prompt, is there anything on PC you don't want to lose?
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

you might want to make this on another PC and check out hdd - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/kb/how-to-use-seatools-bootable-007843en/

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
critical process died can be caused by a range of processes so its not exactly easy to identify just from error. It can be files necessary for windows to actually continue working or boot.

Hi Colif, thanks for the advice. I turned my PC on this morning and the keyboard and mouse work again, so I was able to get into Advanced Troubleshooting options without needing boot media.

I didn't want to run chkdsk because I know that can take hours, and I don't have the time this morning. So instead, I got into command prompt and tried notepad.

I noticed that the C drive is marked as "System Reserved". I couldn't access any files. I'm no expert, but isn't that a sign that the drive is corrupted?

I might run chkdsk first thing tomorrow morning, but I might have my new HDD by then, so it might not be necessary. In the meantime, I might try that Seagate diagnostic tool.

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master

If seagate drive is only a few months old, its always possible its the PSU causing the hdd to die.

On one of my old PC, before I knew having a good PSU can actually extend life of parts (or at least, not kill them prematurely) I went through a period of time where I was getting dead drives. At the time I blamed the hdd and swapped to another brand and never had problems again, but that may have coincided with me getting a new PC with a better PSU... as I now see it was more likely PSU killing my drives. MY 1st few PC were lessons in what not to do :)

Reactions: TomPlk
Solution

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014

I think that may be the answer. I'm not at home right now so I can't check my psu, but it is old and has been overheating. I keep meaning to replace it with something energy efficient.

Perhaps that explains why peripherals are not being recognised.

I will order a new psu and install it at the same time as my new hard drive. Maybe that will fix it. Thanks!

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
6 years is about the time I would get a new one.

What you get depends on how much you need the PC. I would get a Seasonic PSU if you plan on using this for a while longer as they don't make bad PSU.

Yes, I actually ordered a Seasonic Focus Gold 550W. It arrived today. I got my new hard drive yesterday, and I've already mounted it, but I'm not switching the thing on until I install the PSU tomorrow.