[SOLVED] BSOD Memory Errors After Overclocking

kanderson55

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
I overclocked my i5-7600k to 4.8GHz at 1.3 volts. I spent hours on my computer with no problem. Good temps all the way through as well. Watched videos and did usual stuff. Even stress tested on CPU-Z and played hours of The Outer Worlds and CSGO. The problem came when I started playing Escape From Tarkov. I crashed 3 times.

The first error I got was “attempted to execute non executable memory”, the second time I didn’t catch what it said, and the third was “page fault in nonpaged area”. What little I could make out other places, they mostly suggest RAM. Kind of what I expected because it mentioned memory. And Tarkov takes A LOT of RAM, so I imagined there was plenty of extra room for error.
I have XMP on but didn’t change anything manually for RAM when overclocking. I honestly barely know what I’m doing with the CPU (safe voltage, temps, ...that’s about it), so if there’s a problem with RAM settings I wouldn’t know where to start.

If bad comes to worse I’ll just go back to game boost for my auto overclock, but if I could squeeze out this extra bit of performance it’d be nice. I’ll include pictures of my bios settings...

HERE: View: https://imgur.com/a/v9QA7u8

I do have mismatched brand/capacity RAM. I know it’s not recommended, but I’ve only had 1 blue screen with normal use in the last 2 years. Other than the last time I tried overclocking.

I posted the exact same as what's above on reddit and only got one response telling me to take out my 4GB sticks and I'd rather go back to being 99.999% stable on a lower overclock than lose 8GB of RAM.

Solution
Try underclocking the ram, push its voltage to 1.4-1.5, and disable xmp or anything that tightens the ram rimings and see if escape from tarkov keeps crashing, if it persists then its a game problem, and i wouldnt reccomend auto overclock since it pushes the voltage too high but if your temps are ok you should push that 7600k to 5ghz as long as its under 85c you can go to 95c but i dont reccomend that
Mismatched memory is more work on the memory controller. Even if the 1st tier timings are the same, the 2nd, 3rd, and tertiary tier timings/voltages may not be.
Memory stability is only guaranteed in matched sets sold as matched sets from memory manufacturers. Even different lots may have slightly different electrical characteristics, rendering them incompatible when pushed harder.
Overclocking also decreases said possibilities of stability.

Would recommend returning to less aggressive settings and recheck for stability.

kanderson55

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
I reverted back to the lower overclock with game boost. I put in hours of use again with no problems, but as soon as I hit play on the Escape From Tarkov launcher my whole computer crashed. The error was “kernel security check failure”. Once again the internet suggests a RAM problem. I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it came back with 0 errors. (This was recommended by someone who thought the game was causing their problems as well.) Is there a good chance the problem could be caused completely by the game? My first crash was during my first game back since the last major update so it does seem like quite the coincidence.

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
Try underclocking the ram, push its voltage to 1.4-1.5, and disable xmp or anything that tightens the ram rimings and see if escape from tarkov keeps crashing, if it persists then its a game problem, and i wouldnt reccomend auto overclock since it pushes the voltage too high but if your temps are ok you should push that 7600k to 5ghz as long as its under 85c you can go to 95c but i dont reccomend that

Solution

kanderson55

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
I ended up crashing in another game and got another error that said it could possibly have something to do with drivers after I had just gone through and checked every item on device manager for driver updates the night before. Today I ended up completely reinstalling Windows and played a few hours without a crash. May have been the dumb route, but it's definitely looking better. Plus I installed it on my SSD which is something I've been putting off quite a while.