BSOD Memory Management & Random Restarts.

Vorzious

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Alright, so for several days I've been having this issue where my computer would receive a BSOD with the error message Memory Management. I've seen many people complaining about the same thing and not only on this forum.

Most of the results seemed to point to faulty RAM, so yesterday I decided to replace my RAM and changed from my old stock 2x4GB to 2x8GB (16GB DDR3) Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB - PC3-14900 - DIMM. This seemed to have fixed it slightly. Since installing my computer did not receive the BSOD's complaining about the memory management, but it would still just randomly restart (black screen > back to boot). I was annoyed by this and decided to buy a new SSD, Samsung 850 EVO (arrives tomorrow). I'm hoping that this will fix this.

Now you're wondering, if I'm receiving the SSD tomorrow, why make the post now. Well it so happens that about 20 minutes ago I had another BSOD with the memory management error.

To put things more in perspective, I did get any new soft- or hardware (with the exception of the new memory modules) when I first started getting these BSOD's / problems. It just seemed to have randomly started and I'm getting extremply impatient at this point.

One more thing that seems important, 2 days ago I decided that I'd reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD, in the hopes of perhaps that fixing the error). But something went wrong there. The entire boot sequence is... different. Normally it'd flash my motherboard so I could open the boot menu (f11) or go to the bios (del). While it still shows that, now it flashes black once to, again, show the same window but this time it shows a loading icon with a black, square, background. After looking at the boot menu it seems to have the "Windows Boot Manager" in its name. If I choose the "Sata 1: SSD" option it will prompt me with the "no ntldr" error. So I'm forced to load through the WBM. This was the biggest reason for me to think it, or atleast part of, the problem is my SSD. Reinstalling Windows 10 again did not fix this WBM problem.

Lastly, after booting my computer I'm prompted with a message on a blue screen "one moment please" which, well, loads something but I do not know what. And after booting the system my disk usage will be at roughly 100% for aproximately 5 to 10 minutes after which it seems to go back to normal (0-5% at idle) again.

I really hope that either the SSD will fix it, or that one of you may be able to find a solution.

System specs:

Mobo: MSI z97 PC Mate (MS-7850)
CPU: i7-4790k @ 4GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970
RAM: 2x8GB kingston fury (see at the top of this post for the full name)
PSU is at 850W
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (at time of wring this post)

Solution
Is this your first fresh install onto win 10? The windows boot manager thing matches UEFI boot method which matches win 10. The way it boots is different to win 7 before it, it doesn't look for a main boot record anymore, it looks for a file name that is in a hidden partition on the ssd. As long as you have WBM as first choice it should find the ssd

I don't know why it stalls during loading though.

Memory management can be hardware or drivers, its usually drivers more than anything.

download and run this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at error logs and maybe point out a driver name causing error

copy/paste results in here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this your first fresh install onto win 10? The windows boot manager thing matches UEFI boot method which matches win 10. The way it boots is different to win 7 before it, it doesn't look for a main boot record anymore, it looks for a file name that is in a hidden partition on the ssd. As long as you have WBM as first choice it should find the ssd

I don't know why it stalls during loading though.

Memory management can be hardware or drivers, its usually drivers more than anything.

download and run this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at error logs and maybe point out a driver name causing error

copy/paste results in here.

Solution

Vorzious

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Alright. So I decided to hold off on writing again until I was more sure. But I received my new SSD yesterday and installed it. After doing this and installing windows on it everything seems to have been fixed, including the weird boot. Though my bios seems to have lost the old SSD that is still connected.

I also found out that my CPU was reaching rather high temps (talking about 90+ degrees celcius under full load). So I did a full clean and ordered a new cooler (arrives today) but the cleaning already helped lots. So I'm going to mark this as solved.

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios lost a ssd? that sounds like a problem.

840 evo have a 5 year warranty I think (it gets bigger based on drive size to some thing like 80 years at 1tb) so you should rma it and get a replacement drive, if it has indeed vanished.