[SOLVED] BSOD Memory Management with Ryzen 5 3600

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Hi guys, I finally get my Ryzen 5 3600 because of the hype. But I have a few problems with the new hardware, my specs are:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Asrock B450M Steel Legends
  • RAM Gskills Ripjaws V 2x4G 2133
  • PSU Seasonic 520W
  • VGA Asus Dual RX580 8G
  • SSD 120GB Plextor MSG
  • HDD WD Blue 1TB
Since I first boot my pc with the new hardware (main and chip), I constantly encounter the "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" bsod, and a few more but mostly memory_management. When the bsod shows up the pc goes into bootloop. I tried taking it back to the dealer to figure out the problems but nothing has been fixed so far. I also tried:
  • Reinstall Windows 10 Pro.
  • Run Memory Diagnostics Tool
  • Update BIOS, mainboard and VGA driver to the latest.
  • Reinstall the RAM between the 4 slots, clean the RAMs' connectors.
  • Use dism and sfc to check for corrupted files (The corrupted files were found and successfully repaired, but the problem persists).
  • Run memtest86 on 2 RAM sticks seperately.
This is my first build so I'm not sure what I should do now. Can you guys give my some advises about what I should do? Thank you very much for your time. ^_^

Update 29/7: Installed new RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2666) yesterday and the system works perfectly since.

Last edited:
Solution
I just update the BIOS to 2.3. Also, I recently clean installed Windows, so the registry is untouched. The "sfc/scannow" command said that there are some files corrupted and cannot be repaired (maybe this is the problem?).

I will try turning Defender off and run memtest86 to see if there is any error, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find anything so hopefully things will be different this time! :)

Well the corrupted files can explain a lot. Yes those corrupted files can very well be causing the issues.

Now one cause of data corruption is bad RAM. That's why I suggested running memtest. If memory is faulty and has errors it has to be replaced as it would cause all manners of errors, crashes, BSODs, data...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome o the forums!

Does the board have the latest BIOS installed?

If you're overclocking anything (CPU, RAM) I'd suggest you revert to defaults and see if issues persist.

Is the RAM modules inserted in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slots from CPU)?

Also check if Windows is set to drop minudumps after BSODs and upload the files somewhere like Google Driver or Dropbox and post link here so we can have a look.

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Welcome o the forums!

Does the board have the latest BIOS installed?

If you're overclocking anything (CPU, RAM) I'd suggest you revert to defaults and see if issues persist.

Is the RAM modules inserted in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slots from CPU)?

Also check if Windows is set to drop minudumps after BSODs and upload the files somewhere like Google Driver or Dropbox and post link here so we can have a look.

1, Yes, I have the latest BIOS installed.
2. At first, I don't overclock anything but the problem persists. I took it to my dealer and he overclocked the RAM to 2800, and the problem is still there. I will try reverting it to default.
3,.Yes, they are installed in slot A2 and B2.
4. Okay, I will look up how to drop minidump file and post it here. Thanks a lot!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes these are the ones.

You have BIOS version 2.13A installed. Your board has another BIOS version after that: 2.30. Installing that might help. Read manufacturer instructions carefully before updating BIOS. Do not attempt it in case of recent power cuts or probability of power cuts, as an interrupted BIOS update process could brick your motherboard.

I ran the first 3 dump files. The second one (072119-6640-01.dmp) is corrupted and can't be opened.

The first one (072119-6562-01.dmp) is bugcheck 51 which is a registry problem. It can be caused by hardware or file system corruption.

After you revert the system to default settings (reset BIOS or clear CMOS, refer to board manual here) I'd suggest you run bootable memtest to check if the RAM is faulty or have errors. When you do this you should check one RAM stick at a time and at least for 8 passes. Run more than once if it defaults to 4 passes.

Also runs "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) from an elevated Command Prompt. Open Windows Run box, type CMD and when CMD shows up right-click on it and click 'Run as administrator' then type sfc /scannow and enter.

The third dump (072119-7109-01.dmp) is a bugcheck 1A and is a memory management error. Although the process named here is MsMpEng.exe and no drivers are named. This is a process associated with the Windows Defender.

You can try turning off Defender temporarily to see if the issues persist or not (I don't suggest turning it off for good unless you have a good 3rd party security suite installed).

Also first dump being a registry error and the third one being a Windows Defender problem, have you by any chance tried to disable Defender through registry editing?

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Yes these are the ones.

You have BIOS version 2.13A installed. Your board has another BIOS version after that: 2.30. Installing that might help. Read manufacturer instructions carefully before updating BIOS. Do not attempt it in case of recent power cuts or probability of power cuts, as an interrupted BIOS update process could brick your motherboard.

I ran the first 3 dump files. The second one (072119-6640-01.dmp) is corrupted and can't be opened.

The first one (072119-6562-01.dmp) is bugcheck 51 which is a registry problem. It can be caused by hardware or file system corruption.

After you revert the system to default settings (reset BIOS or clear CMOS, refer to board manual here) I'd suggest you run bootable memtest to check if the RAM is faulty or have errors. When you do this you should check one RAM stick at a time and at least for 8 passes. Run more than once if it defaults to 4 passes.

Also runs "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) from an elevated Command Prompt. Open Windows Run box, type CMD and when CMD shows up right-click on it and click 'Run as administrator' then type sfc /scannow and enter.

The third dump (072119-7109-01.dmp) is a bugcheck 1A and is a memory management error. Although the process named here is MsMpEng.exe and no drivers are named. This is a process associated with the Windows Defender.

You can try turning off Defender temporarily to see if the issues persist or not (I don't suggest turning it off for good unless you have a good 3rd party security suite installed).

Also first dump being a registry error and the third one being a Windows Defender problem, have you by any chance tried to disable Defender through registry editing?

I just update the BIOS to 2.3. Also, I recently clean installed Windows, so the registry is untouched. The "sfc/scannow" command said that there are some files corrupted and cannot be repaired (maybe this is the problem?).

I will try turning Defender off and run memtest86 to see if there is any error, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find anything so hopefully things will be different this time! :)

AMD has worked wonders on its memory controller with third-gen Ryzen 3000 Series, achieving a base 3200MHz specification - up from the previously officially supported DDR4-2666 speeds in the first-gen Ryzen, updated to DDR4-2933 speeds on the second-gen Ryzen when using two modules.

Your using yery slow speed memory for that CPU.

Test for defective memory:
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

Any errors, replace memory under warranty.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Well the corrupted files can explain a lot. Yes those corrupted files can very well be causing the issues.

Now one cause of data corruption is bad RAM. That's why I suggested running memtest. If memory is faulty and has errors it has to be replaced as it would cause all manners of errors, crashes, BSODs, data corruption etc.

Run each RAM module (one at a time) at least 8 passes and see if there are any errors.

I also suggest you download HD Sentinel from here, and chech the SMART health status of the SSD and the HDD.

Also you can run sfc /scannow again from an elevated Command Prompt and if the result is same in the same window run this command: "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" (without quotes) this will take some time and see what the result it. However, if problem is with memory things like this would happen again.

Solution

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
AMD has worked wonders on its memory controller with third-gen Ryzen 3000 Series, achieving a base 3200MHz specification - up from the previously officially supported DDR4-2666 speeds in the first-gen Ryzen, updated to DDR4-2933 speeds on the second-gen Ryzen when using two modules.

Your using yery slow speed memory for that CPU.

Test for defective memory:
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

Any errors, replace memory under warranty.
I did tried overclocking the RAM to 2800, and the system is so much faster. But the bsod is not solved so I reverted it back to 2133.

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019

Now one cause of data corruption is bad RAM. That's why I suggested running memtest. If memory is faulty and has errors it has to be replaced as it would cause all manners of errors, crashes, BSODs, data corruption etc.

Run each RAM module (one at a time) at least 8 passes and see if there are any errors.

I also suggest you download HD Sentinel from here, and chech the SMART health status of the SSD and the HDD.

Also you can run sfc /scannow again from an elevated Command Prompt and if the result is same in the same window run this command: "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" (without quotes) this will take some time and see what the result it. However, if problem is with memory things like this would happen again.
Thanks! I will definitely try it tomorrow.
I just finish the first 8 passes with 1 4GB stick. It works perfectly fine. But when I reboot right after the test, the problem is still there. I think this really is a software issue.

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
I just finished the test. No error were found on both RAM sticks.
Using the above command, I managed to repair to corrupted files. Now it say that it doesn't find any violation or integrity something... At first, the pc runs perfectly for 2-3 hours, before it went back to the BSOD after I unplugged the pc to move it.

For the SSD and HDD, I did tried using "chkdsk /r" command. The problem still persist though.

Also, in Device Manager > Other Device, there are 2 lines that said "PCI Device", and they have Code 28 Error (No compatible driver), is this relevant to my issue? And I also jotted down all error codes, hopefully it will help:
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
  • REGISTRY_ERROR
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • ATTEMPTED_WRITE_ON_READONLY_MEMORY
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (win32kfull.sys)
  • IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (after inputting the PIN)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019
Any updates? I just upgraded to a 3600 an am having the same problems word for word. One thing I found that seems to lessen the frequency of the blue screens was to set the power profile to 'balanced' in the windows power settings.

bryantShepherd

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Any updates? I just upgraded to a 3600 an am having the same problems word for word. One thing I found that seems to lessen the frequency of the blue screens was to set the power profile to 'balanced' in the windows power settings.
Yes I updated the post on 29/7. I installed new RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2666) and the system has been working fine. The issue may be caused by incompatible RAM, because my old RAM was made in 2015 or so.