BSOD new installation windows 10

Nov 2, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm a little stuck here with a new build for a friend. I've built many pc's and a few on windows 10 but I'm genuinely stuck right now.

I've upgraded a PC and windows 10 will not boot. It goes to WHEA unexpected error when trying to boot. Since I want it installed on the SSD, I thought to just disconnect all HDDs except the SSD. Installed win 10 from USB and got the same error on first load, subsequent loads just give me an error box saying the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an error. windows installation cannot proceed.......then just a restart loop.

I can't even boot to safe mode as it won't give me any options to do so. However I could get to safe mode from the previous installation of windows 10 on the old HDD if that helps.

The new build has the following spec:

ASUS Prime B350-plus
amd 1700x with a noctua cooler.
16GB DDR4 Corsair RAM
think its GTX 960 Asus strix.
Samsung EVO 970 SSD
Corsair CX 750M psu

Appreciate any advice here. I feel like its to do with hardware but not sure how to proceed. I'll run a memtest but i don't think that is the problem.

Solution
All fixed now, thanks for the help!

ended up changing the registry when the error came up with shift F10:

HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion

that was my problem. changed value and it finished installing and it runs fine now.

Thanks!

The NVMe M.2 drive should be the only storage drive connected.

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not windows UEFI.

Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Nov 2, 2018
Hi Calvin,

thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately I still get the same error. Installs, restarts (done as described), gives me a blue screen, restarts again then I get the error PC unexpectedly restarted. windows cannot proceed, click ok to restart and restart installation.

this is the most frustrating one I've worked on so far!

Nov 2, 2018
All fixed now, thanks for the help!

ended up changing the registry when the error came up with shift F10:

HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion

that was my problem. changed value and it finished installing and it runs fine now.

Thanks!

Solution