[SOLVED] BSOD Not often, but very Random?

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
A while ago I realized that my intel i7-9700kf wasn't boost clocking to ~4.9 GHz like it was advertised, but instead was locked at 3.6 GHz. Upon looking at device manager, I noticed I got yellow triangles around my processors, so I followed some guides (which involved uninstalling and rescanning and whatnot) and that managed to fix that issue and my turbo clocking was working as intended.

However recently I've been encountering some rather strange issues. It is not common, but every so often I'd randomly get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD, and I'm not sure where it's coming from. So far it has happened 3 times, once when I was sitting idle it suddenly crashed, once when I was reading something online whilst something was installing it crashed, and the 3rd, which is the only reproducible crash is whenever I launch a specific game, Assetto Corsa Competizione it crashes before I get to the main menu (I tried a handful of games yet this was the only one that crashed).

I feel like it has to do with the turbo boosting, but I monitored CPU voltages and temperatures at the time of crashing (at least with the game crashing) and they were completely fine for the cpu. If I absolutely must I'd be willing to turn it off, but I feel like there has to be some other issue.

Ran Memtest, Intel CPU Diagnostic and other diagnostic tools and all came out clean.

I've attached a collective zip file that contains all the dumps (it's the collection that tenforums provides) https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlG8QRyMLDBTimr3o4s-8fWVyDAb?e=jlgPxB

SPECS:

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700KF 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [w/o Integrated Graphic] (Coffee Lake)
1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory SSD Acceleration 2X Faster)
1TB WD Green Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD
A 2TB Hard Drive from my previous computer that I installed into this one
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX w/ WiFi 802.11AC RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular
GPU: EVGA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ XC GAMING 8G GDDR6 (Turing) [Old GPU used was Zotac 1070ti Mini]
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)

Solution
Alright, after a few days I believe the issue is now fixed. I had to do a bit more tinkering, but I believe the main culprit was disabling CPU C-states in the bios (after doing all the aforementioned fixes of course), and now it seems like everything is working fine

Now all I just need is some gpu assistance (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-this-amount-of-front-i-o-incline-normal.3584660/ ) and I'll no longer deal with this stress anymore :p

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
How about BIOS option that allows it
  1. "speedstep" is ENABLED
  2. "speed shift technology ENABLED (or if not available switch for AUTO)
  3. Turbo Mode ENABLED
your BIOS manuals are here:
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1jEaWNe9hS.pdf
page 2-30

if this will not help, RESET all BIOS settings to DEFAULT.
remember to choose right boot HDD so system can start.
Holy <Mod Edit> wow....doing that actually works! I ran the ACC game and managed to properly be able to navigate menu's and such without any crashing. I'll still give it some time to check and see if I run into any more errors, but thanks!

But I'm still wondering what exactly caused this issue. Like I mentioned it's pretty random (apart from the game) so idk what specifically is leading to this problem. When I went to change the bios settings, only the speed shift was different from what I originally had (changed from Auto --> Enabled) so maybe that played a big role?

but for now I'll go on a bit just to make sure there aren't any underlining problems or if this single boot was just an outlier, will probably give an update soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ficler1977

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
I am glad that helped
mark that post as suggested solution. so other users will not ask the same question again.
that cause was if you have bought this PC as 2nd hand, previous user might have been playing with settings.
many people avoid using too much power to reduce noise pollution(as fan gets noisy when it speeds up)
other might be simply willing to do not go over basic CPU speed.
also if there ever was a BIOS update def or even original BIOS this might have been a mistake to do not leave it with these options. Also CPU might have been released after motherboard was produced to as precaution this was blocked to avoid damage.
long story short all these settings should be by default as listed by me.

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Ok update, it's back again. Used my computer for ~6 hours casually (i.e., no intensive loads) and all of a sudden it just bsod while idle. Tried running ACC again and it crashed like before

EDIT again: After the PC rebooted from the ACC crash, I ran the game again just to start the diagnosing process again, and this time it works completely fine? Now I'm confused?

EDIT 2: One potential fix I found was going into System32/drivers and renaming the intelppm.sys file to a temp like intelppm.sys.bak (in safe mode ofc) and letting windows recreate the file on restart. In doing that it prevents any issues of bsods however, it ends up locking the cpu to its base 3.6 GHz clock, and despite bios settings doesn't let it boost clock. On device manager as well the processor shows up with those yellow warning symbols

Now I've just gone ahead and tried ACC with a couple of consecutive boots (not with the intelppm fix thingy), and it works perfectly fine? This is just causing paranoia now because one second it's all fine and dandy and the next, everything's back to not working

Last edited:

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Alright, after a few days I believe the issue is now fixed. I had to do a bit more tinkering, but I believe the main culprit was disabling CPU C-states in the bios (after doing all the aforementioned fixes of course), and now it seems like everything is working fine

Now all I just need is some gpu assistance (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-this-amount-of-front-i-o-incline-normal.3584660/ ) and I'll no longer deal with this stress anymore :p

Solution