BSOD ntoskrnl.exe error, used Driver Verifier

chrizj

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Using a BSOD viewer, the file "NTOSKRNL.exe" is highlighted as the culprit of my BSOD, which occurs roughly 2x per 24 hours of "on time". Did some digging on the forums and proceeded to set up Driver Verifier, but the newest dumps aren't highlighting anything new (it's still just NTOSKRNL.exe).

Am I reading the dump files correctly? I had Driver Verifier set up with EVERY driver that wasn't Microsoft-based, and I guess I was expecting to see some other driver highlighted as part of the BSOD. I've done the following within the past two weeks -

1. New PSU
2. Clean install of Sound/GPU drivers (using cleaning utilities for a truly "ground zero" driver install)
3. Updated the LAN driver
4. Checked Hard Drive health (both were fine)

Running out of ideas, and here are my components -

Windows 10 Pro
ASUS Turbo 1070
ASUS Xonar DX (use custom drivers for Windows 10 :(
512GB MX100 SSD
1TB Western Digital Black
16GB Crucial Ballistix
Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H
3770K OC'ed to 4.2 (I've checked the temperatures, and they've never gone above 45c... it's been clocked this way for about a year+

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm hoping the culprit is hiding in a dump that I'm not reading properly.

Solution
Remove overclock if you are getting bsod

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Remove overclock if you are getting bsod

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/NJNQt9jE

File: 082217-7921-01.dmp (Tue Aug 22 02:07:37 2017)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)] {fffffffffffffff9, 2, 0, fffff8013f847f3b}
Probably caused by: hardware (Process: System)

File: 082217-7500-01.dmp (Tue Aug 22 18:54:06 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffff910f416e0028, f2000040, 10005}
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: System)

File: 082217-7312-01.dmp (Tue Aug 22 04:41:17 2017)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)] {fffffffffffffff9, 2, 0, fffff803bcc31f3b}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)

I can't help you with this. Wait for Colif or someone else to reply. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
update/remove acronis virtual disc, its from 2011
update/remove Itunes (GEARAspiWDM.sys is from 2012)
update/remove AOMEI Backupper (its from 2012)
update logitech gaming software
update open VPN
remove MSI afterburner

if you don't have any of these programs still installed, you can use this to see whats running at startup and remove them if need be: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

chrizj

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Admittedly, I have to admit that Colif solves my problem with the very first line of his first comment; it was the overclock. Having only used 1.24v, I suspected that everything was peachy, as the temperatures were always so low, but it seems that the CPU or board has slowly deteriorated; setting everything to default settings has kept the computer running for 48 hours, straight. Thanks again for all the advice!