Question BSoD on ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 ?

Jul 10, 2022
I really need help to figure out what happen on my notebook,
my notebook is ASUS Zephyrus G15,
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics 3.00 Ghz
RAM: 16 GB
Windows version: Windows 11 Home 21H2
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX2060 with Max-Q Design

I have fully uninstall all system and format, reinstall the windows 11 home, and let the window update run.
then the BSoD problem occur, i think is the auto update from microsoft store make something wrong, but i can't figure it out because it's update a lot at a time.

here is the minidump if that help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eoybpr7t03tfgpi/071022-8750-01.zip?dl=0

Thanks a lot

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Step 1 - Re-install windows 11 without updates, disconnect internet wire, no updates.
Step 2 - Install asus network drivers, chipset drivers, video drivers, usb & other drivers.
Step 3 - (Depending if W11 virus allows) Put updates on "Notify but do not download."
Step 4 - Go to updates and uncheck - Recommended, Optional and Beta.
Step 5 - Plug network back in and check the list of updates now.
Step 6 - Run through the list and right click and hide any updates to HW drivers installed in Step 2.
Notice, Windows 11 is still experimental.

Jul 10, 2022
thankyou for the reply, i don't know when will the BSoD occur again so let me describe my problem to see if that help.

Before that i was using windows 10, and the BSoD problem drive me to crazy, i have find so many method but not works at all, so i update to windows 11 hope it's may help, but obviously it's not.

so i throwing everything away but the BSoD problem still occur.

In the following situration BSoD occur more offen before
  1. Downloading huge volume things from steam or xbox app.
  2. Pugin the power while using the computer.

in safe mode BSoD will never occur so i confused that it's the hardware problem or software problem
i have ran the hard disk check and ram check to see if they are damaged or not but they seem fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what codes are you getting? I have asked a friend to convert dumps, he is probably asleep right now.

If it survives a clean install and was present on win 10, its probably not software.

So which model? As Asus have 3...
GA503RW
GA503RM
GA503RS

probably not a lot of difference but maybe.
what BIOS version are you on?
can tell by looking in system information app, next to the Bios Version/Date header (its the row under Processor name)

Safe mode is both less stressing on computers and doesn't use the drivers, so zero crashing can mean its drivers but it can also mean its hardware. Its not a perfect test.

what storage do you have?

Notice, Windows 11 is still experimental.
lol. You mean not finished? like Win 10 isn't finished yet.

Jul 10, 2022
what codes are you getting? I have asked a friend to convert dumps, he is probably asleep right now.

If it survives a clean install and was present on win 10, its probably not software.

So which model? As Asus have 3...
GA503RW
GA503RM
GA503RS

probably not a lot of difference but maybe.
what BIOS version are you on?
can tell by looking in system information app, next to the Bios Version/Date header (its the row under Processor name)

Safe mode is both less stressing on computers and doesn't use the drivers, so zero crashing can mean its drivers but it can also mean its hardware. Its not a perfect test.

what storage do you have?

lol. You mean not finished? like Win 10 isn't finished yet.

Thankyou for the reply,

BSoD code is so random
i have saw
irql_not_less_or_equal
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
kmode_exception_not_handled

The model is GA502IV
(https://www.asus.com/supportonly/ROG Zephyrus G15/HelpDesk/)

The BIOS version is 300

I have 1gb SSD X2
one is Crucial
another is kingston

Before the window was install in Cruical, i have try to install the window in kingston SSD but the BSoD still occur.
Now i have remove kingston SSD, only cruical SSD remain.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So its unlikely to be storage since it happens on both.

How did you check the ram?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I would start by downloading autorun64.exe from
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

and then delete or disable the driver asradiocontrol.sys
and reboot and see if you still bugcheck.
(this is my best guess but there are other drivers to look at)

I would also run cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
to repair copies of any windows file that has been modified.
you might also want to turn off virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on to dump any thing that could be hiding in the pagefile.sys

trying to figure out why the filesystem bugchecked.
start cmd.exe as a admin and run the command
fltmc.exe filters
here are the filters on my window 10 machine:
bindflt
wdfilter
storqosflt
wcifs
cldflt
filecrypt
luafv
npsvctrig
wof
fileinfo

(looking to see if you have filter that could have caused the filesystem bugcheck.)

---------------------
I will take a quick look at the dumps: most current first then work backward to oldest ones.

most current bugcheck: invalid op code: this means the cpu tried to run some data as code. top half of memory address looks bogus. not a valid kernel address.

machine info:
bios version 5.16
firmware version 3.13
bios version ga5021v.300
bios date 2/14/2022
machine asustek computer inc.
product rog zephyrus g15 ga5021v_ga502iv

cup amd ryzen 9 4900hs with radeon graphics
cpu current speed 2994MHz

3 window core files have been modified in memory
lots of custom asus files installed.
system up timer was 9 minutes
-------------
second bugcheck cpu instruction pointer misaligned
ended up writing to a bad memory address (73)
only 1 windows file has been modified in this dump.
code running from outside of a known module
------------
bugcheck due to stack overflow while running microsoft malware scan. the overflow was reported by the ntfs (nt filesystem)
call to a file filter before the failure. failure was in a cleanup routine.
------------
bugcheck was a access violation in nt kernel
address looks valid call was from a service running under a host process.
svchost.exe
the call looked like it was from kernel but not inside a module.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022
Thankyou all for the suggestion, at the moment i in a business trip so cannot try the bugcheck,
i will update the progress as soon as possible. Really appreciate for all the suggestion.

Jul 10, 2022
I would start by downloading autorun64.exe from
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

and then delete or disable the driver asradiocontrol.sys
and reboot and see if you still bugcheck.
(this is my best guess but there are other drivers to look at)

I would also run cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
to repair copies of any windows file that has been modified.
you might also want to turn off virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on to dump any thing that could be hiding in the pagefile.sys

trying to figure out why the filesystem bugchecked.
start cmd.exe as a admin and run the command
fltmc.exe filters
here are the filters on my window 10 machine:
bindflt
wdfilter
storqosflt
wcifs
cldflt
filecrypt
luafv
npsvctrig
wof
fileinfo

(looking to see if you have filter that could have caused the filesystem bugcheck.)

---------------------
I will take a quick look at the dumps: most current first then work backward to oldest ones.

most current bugcheck: invalid op code: this means the cpu tried to run some data as code. top half of memory address looks bogus. not a valid kernel address.

machine info:
bios version 5.16
firmware version 3.13
bios version ga5021v.300
bios date 2/14/2022
machine asustek computer inc.
product rog zephyrus g15 ga5021v_ga502iv

cup amd ryzen 9 4900hs with radeon graphics
cpu current speed 2994MHz

3 window core files have been modified in memory
lots of custom asus files installed.
system up timer was 9 minutes
-------------
second bugcheck cpu instruction pointer misaligned
ended up writing to a bad memory address (73)
only 1 windows file has been modified in this dump.
code running from outside of a known module
------------
bugcheck due to stack overflow while running microsoft malware scan. the overflow was reported by the ntfs (nt filesystem)
call to a file filter before the failure. failure was in a cleanup routine.
------------
bugcheck was a access violation in nt kernel
address looks valid call was from a service running under a host process.
svchost.exe
the call looked like it was from kernel but not inside a module.

i have fist disable the asradiocontrol.sys and try dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

the BSoD still occur so i have delete the asradiocontrol.sys and turn off virtual memory, reboot and turn it back.

BSoD still occur so i disable all the asus stuff in autorun64.exe.

here is the filters when i check fltmc.exe filters

C:\Windows\system32>fltmc.exe filters

Filter Name Num Instances Altitude Frame
------------------------------ ------------- ------------ -----
bindflt 1 409800 0
WdFilter 4 328010 0
storqosflt 0 244000 0
wcifs 0 189900 0
gameflt 2 189850 0
dbx 2 186500 0
CldFlt 0 180451 0
FileCrypt 0 141100 0
luafv 1 135000 0
npsvctrig 1 46000 0
Wof 2 40700 0
FileInfo 4 40500 0

at least there is the new minidump maybe can help
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmzpxchwdzpkgsk/071522-7718-01.zip?dl=0

Jul 10, 2022
So its unlikely to be storage since it happens on both.

How did you check the ram?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
the memtest result is here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmH1u94UBi1eC7ZKKJcVEll0GI_xe6pr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ss8RoGVZucfdvr9lJTEkNWivjA1x4YPM/view?usp=sharing

Jul 10, 2022
There have one funny thing but im not sure yet,
in Tuesday i have install PUBG though steam, when i launch the game, the game force me to install .net framework 2.0 and 3.5. then don't have BSoD for two day, still need more time for testing

Jul 10, 2022
after few day and few crash, one of the mini dump point to netwbw02.sys.
I try to remove the wifi driver though the device manager.
but every time I reboot the computer the driver will restore, how can I fully remove the wifi driver and install the newest one?

Last edited:
after few day and few crash, one of the mini dump point to netwbw02.sys.
I try to remove the wifi driver though the device manager.
but every time I reboot the computer the driver will restore, how can I fully remove the wifi driver and install the newest one?
just install the updated driver and hope the setup program sets it as the active driver, it should but some of the old intel driver install but do not set it as the active driver. for those cases you have to go to device manager, right mouse click on the adapter, select update driver, select
browse my computer for drivers, select let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
and you will see a list.

problem is the list does not show the versions of the actual files so you don't know which is the current version.
my list now has 7 version of the driver all listed with the same text.

generally, I would now use the pnputil.exe and remove the old drivers from my machine and complain about the stupid user interface. google "how to remove drivers from the driverstore" for instructions on how to use pnputil.exe to remove the old oemxx.inf files.
or you can pick the microsoft version of the driver and microsoft windows will update as new updates are pushed out.

Aug 14, 2022
Same problem with same model but with R7 4800HS.
After update the BIOS (version300), most of BSOD are about ram, can be seen it in windbg.
And there is another problem though, gpu driver may go crazy or something, then notebook screen gone black, extend screen turn into green.

Aug 14, 2022
There have one funny thing but im not sure yet,
in Tuesday i have install PUBG though steam, when i launch the game, the game force me to install .net framework 2.0 and 3.5. then don't have BSoD for two day, still need more time for testing
This kind BSOD problem can occur very randomly.
The time interval can be couple of hours or couple of days.

Jul 10, 2022
This kind BSOD problem can occur very randomly.
The time interval can be couple of hours or couple of days.
Yes, the wan card intel wifi 6 ax201 should response for most of the BSOD problem,
but there are still some random BSOD and black screen, getting so exhaust on this notebook

Aug 14, 2022
Yes, the wan card intel wifi 6 ax201 should response for most of the BSOD problem,
but there are still some random BSOD and black screen, getting so exhaust on this notebook
In my case, most of BSOD are due to memory problem, high possibility for video card memory.

I tried using "Silent" mode in Armoury Crate, the BSOD problem just gone, but this mode will disable CPU Thread 12~15, so I don't wanna use this mode.

Then I find out there is a GPU boost in Manual mode, please disable this. You can refer to my settings, 90% of BSOD is already gone.

CPU Setting
https://sm.ms/image/rxm21El954BX8Hq
GPU Setting
https://sm.ms/image/6bglnABRjGLarkt

Fan setting is a little bit cliffy so the CPU won't go overheat.