BSOD on brand new build! Please help!

Jordan Go

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hey folks! Long time lurker, poster in times of crisis.

So, my buddy is having some issues with his new build. He basically started over for the new CPU and RAM generation, using all new parts with the exception of the GPU (GTX 1080) and one of the SSDs. We put a new OS on a new SSD. Once we started it up, it was fine for a few minutes and then the BSODs started happening. Now, we get BSODs a few minutes after logging into the OS. Turning it back on after a crash only makes them happen earlier.

To be precise, the BSOD we are getting is "System Thread Exception Not Handled." We tried installing nVidia legacy drivers as per the advice of youtube, and it seemed to work for a little bit, but we ended up getting the same message shortly thereafter. Here is a photo of the BSOD:

idHF5n5.jpg

We tried booting from the old OS on the old SSD and got the same errors at the same rate. This leads me to believe that it is not software related, though I am no expert and would welcome any conflicting advice!

We cannot get in long enough to get a dxdiag report, and my bud is presently at work, so the way I can communicate hardware specifics is currently limited. I do have a picture from the BIOS though:

tlbd6K0.jpg

Additionally, I know that there is an aftermarket soundcard installed, though I do not have the information about it at the moment. All I know is that it is a newer model, because using the card was the reason for upgrading to the current processor generation.

Lastly, I am sorry this post is so informal and scatterbrained. He and I work opposite shifts, so communicating can be a pain. I do know that he really wants to get back into the Matrix, though, so any advice would be amazing.

Thanks a ton, guys.

Jordan Go

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

Will do! Just one question:

We are getting the same issue on two seperate SSD's, the old one and the new one. Both are installed. We used the first SSD for a couple of years with no issues. We installed the new one and are using the other SSD for additional storage. Once we installed the new one, we started getting these issues. Last night we went back to SSD one to see if things were cool on that one, but found we were getting the same error anyway.

Could malware have gone from one to the other like that? Without any kind of prompt or interaction?

Format the SSD before the install, if there is any malware that should get rid of it.

I've seen quite a few blue screens, and they didn't look like that. They didn't include a barcode for your phone