[SOLVED] BSOD on brand new cpu (details below)

Jul 18, 2019
Hi, sorry to add to the list of BSOD queries but I'm at my wit's end on this.

Few weeks back I bought a new diy CPU off newegg which I built using pcpartpicker.

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU: Sapphire nitro+ Radeon rx 580 8gb
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16gb (3000mhz)
Power: EVGA SuperNova g3 (650w)
Casing: cougar mx330 with built-in cooling fan
Windows 10 pro trial version (have not bought a cdkey yet)

I finally got around to installing Windows 10 last Sunday. But almost immediately after I installed win10 and logged in, my CPU started freezing.
I checked Event Viewer and it wasn't very helpful; the freeze (and subsequent bsod if I don't immediately reset the PC) was attributed to bugcheck 1001 (0x00000133 - DPC Watchdog violation).

Google search showed a lot of such cases that usually highlighted a driver problem (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dpc-watchdog-violation.2809850/ ) so I tried to update my drivers and windows 10 while hoping my CPU would not freeze in the middle of it all. List of what i've tried to do:
  • Update drivers via Driver Easy / Driver Hub / Driver Booster
  • manual download and update gpu driver
  • manually changed sata devices IDE/ATAPI controller in Device Manager to storachi.sys (Standard Sata ACHI etc)
  • run just single channel 16gb ram instead of dual channel
  • reinstall Win10 (funnily enough, after updating all the drivers, they actually caused my Win10 re-installation to freeze; it was smooth all the way before updating anything)
  • did Driver testing using Verifier (followed the steps at https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html ) - completely screwed up my cpu and went into boot loop (with a lot of DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED VIOLATION and CRITICAL PROCESS DIED) - had to reinstall win10 again.
Didn't work. I should also mention that I didn't flash my BIOS to update to the latest version because my sdcard was used as the usb installer for windows 10 (poor excuse but all my old usbs have died... if i could partition the sdcard to have windows installer + bios update + memtest86, that would be great haha).

So yesterday I downloaded WinDbg and WhoCrashed but as many threads here in the past have experienced, the 2 programs blamed windows nt kernel (WinDbg - ntkrnlmp.exe, WhoCrashed - ntoskrnl.exe) for the BSOD which is obviously just a symptom and not the root case.

A lot of discussions on the internet deduced possible memory corruption so i wiped my sdcard and replaced it with memtest86 which I set to run last night. When i left for work earlier today it had already finished the 1st run and no issues were found.

In short:
  • BSOD - bugcheck 1001 0x00000133 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
  • Updated all drivers (or did i miss out something?) but did not update BIOS (due to resource limitations)
  • WinDbg and WhoCrashed blaming symptoms (ntkrnlmp.exe and ntoskrnl.exe)
  • Memtest86 seems to be ok - not memory issue i hope (it's new...)
  • Win10 reinstallation didn't work
  • Didn't know how to properly use Verifier so I had to wipe my ssd and reinstall win10 from scratch
What else can I do that i might have missed out from my fairly intensive googling these past 3 nights?

Again, apologies for such a long wall of text. been staying up till like 3 am on 2 of the past 3 nights so i'm getting quite tired.

To-do list for updating this thread:
  • save and upload my minidump for your reference
  • the memtest86 remaining runs' results once i get back home tonight.
  • Edit: check bios version

Last edited:
Solution
Did you make the installer recently?

Update drivers via Driver Easy / Driver Hub / Driver Booster

bad idea... you shouldn't use 3rd party driver programs when your motherboard already has LIve Update 6 - link (5th item down) - that is specifically designed for the board. 3rd party driver tools can install the wrong drivers.

shouldn't need driver verifier on a brand new install. That boot error is one reason I don't suggest it right away.

having 1 USB drive is a pain I am sure. Which BIOS are you on? I wouldn't grab the absolute latest as its a beta

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you make the installer recently?

Update drivers via Driver Easy / Driver Hub / Driver Booster

bad idea... you shouldn't use 3rd party driver programs when your motherboard already has LIve Update 6 - link (5th item down) - that is specifically designed for the board. 3rd party driver tools can install the wrong drivers.

shouldn't need driver verifier on a brand new install. That boot error is one reason I don't suggest it right away.

having 1 USB drive is a pain I am sure. Which BIOS are you on? I wouldn't grab the absolute latest as its a beta

Solution
Jul 18, 2019
Hey Colif,

so i used DDU to uninstall my gpu driver and reinstalled it.

Bios version: American Megatrends Inc 1.60 6/3/2019
Memtest86 = ok
upload of minidump here that i exported from WhoCrashed here (i doubt this is sufficient so should i save the log directly from event viewer instead?)
https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/812173/WhoCrashedOutput.htm

I've reduced the frequency of the freezing but it's still happening at longer intervals now.
Apart from reinstalling gpu driver and other related motherboard drivers using MSI Live Update and changing all IDE/ATAPI controllers to Standard SATA AHCI controller, i'm not sure what else i can do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that file you uploaded doesn't seem to be in the right format,
can you go to c windows/minidump
copy the file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

are the ram sticks on the QVL list for motherboard?

I think you could update bios to 1.70 - but I am hesitant as it links to this page when describing changes in bios layout and as you can tell, this is the link to the beta - https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

I have seen a few people of late having problems getting windows to install onto PC and we not sure if it isn't a problem with current version of win 10. Hard part is if you don't have any version other than current build.

Jul 18, 2019
Hi Colif,
Apologies for the late reply, after my previous update, the cpu seems to have stabilized and didn't crash over the rest of my weekend so i hope that means it's fixed - so your solution regarding not using 3rd party seems to have worked.

i probably should've used DDU sooner than later as well, so i'll keep this in mind if i ever get another cpu 5-6 years down the road.

btw i won't post the crashdumps already since there are a lot of other people who need help dealing with their problems. And Ram is definitely QVL (corsair vengeance lpx 2x16gb).

thank you so much!