BSoD On Brand New PC?

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I just recently build a PC for myself to avoid next gen consoles, and I got a random and quick BSoD about 2 hours into using the new system. It was very quick and I couldn't read it or write down what it said, and it hasn't shown its face again since then, but the PC has only gotten maybe 4 hours of use. I did have a defective GPU that stopped working after I played BF4 for 5 minutes, do you think a new GPU will make that screen never come up again? What could be the cause of the BSoD, the GPU, RAM, HDD, or something else? It only happened once and didn't effect anything major and never showed up again, but that on a brand new PC just scares me. Thanks for the help

Solution
it should most bsod if things like memory speed are not set up can be random. what i hate building a rig and finding one of the dimms are bad...having to send the kit back.
with a new gaming rig...make sure the motherboard bios is up to date. the ram set to xmp porile in the bios and the ram is seated. (run memtest overnight to rule out memory issue). the last would be a under sized or weak power supply what the sixe and make of your power supply and the gpu???

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure the bios is up to date, but I need to confirm this. How do I set the RAM to XMP profile? I'm new to the more technical stuff. The ram is definitely seated, I made sure of that haha. I will be running memtest as soon as I can use the PC again, my motherboard doesn't have inboard graphics and my graphics card was defective, new gpu coming tomorrow. I'm 99% sure my PSU is adequate, it's the Corsair TX 650, and the GPU was the R9 280X when the BSOD occurred, but I will be getting a GTX 770 tomorrow.

look online or take out the mb cd and look at the bios settings in the mb guild. if it an asus mb it under the ai tab under dram speed. the mb will be set to default (auto). click on the box set it to xmp profile one. what you want to do is with cpu-z read the memory spd info and set the speed and voltage for the rams stock speed.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Okay I will do all of that once I can get my PC displaying an image again haha. Thank you for the help, hopefully it was just a fluke and if it isn't, that will fix it. Do you think doing all of that will fix everything?