BSOD on Defragment

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
I get a crash or a BSOD everytime I try to run a defragmenter.

Tried multiple times and with a different defragmenter. Started happening roughly around the same time as installing "eboostr" and also installing AHCI drivers to my sata controller.

I tried not running eboostr on windows start but it still crashed.

Solution
well that's cool. everybody has there own way to do things I just found that after you set the bios the way you want and then load windows without using anything from the boards disk and reboot in to windows and see what is realy needed mosty just the chipset drivers then lan audio then with that check that over and reboot back to windows and see were its at then. like my board has the asmeida sata controller on it but windows picks it up and works just fine with out asmeida the drivers on witch I run the optical drives. but funny my last asus sabertooth build was a bad thing it never worked right with things going on like with what your having +. my buddy then bought one thinking it was me and his sabertooth did not last as long...

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014

Thanks. I tried the stuff the link lead me to:

Did the slow chkdsk version - didnt see any errors listed. Is there a log somewhere?

Did SFC, with all xp files linked.. didnt see any errors there either.

It seems to crash while moving different files. Theres also a red spot in the middle of the defrag viewer (mydefrag). Im not sure what that means.

if using windows ,look in the event viewer and see if there any disk errors . I had a drive that did not cause a bsod as you but when I defraged it would through disk errors in the event viewer [ error code 7.. disk has bad block and so forth] then I got the wd harddrive data lifeguard tool and it would not pass the tests so it just had to go before I lost the data on it to transfer to a new drive. just thought I through this in here for you to look at.... good luck

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014

I did check the event viewer before, for critical errors, all sections, didnt see anything about HDD failure or BSOD. My best guess now is that it has to do with the AHCI driver I installed somehow conflicts with something else.

ya I see.. I used that once and now I still set all my drives to ide. seemed like the drive I set up to ahci I was not able to use on a computer set up on ide or something and could not get data off it for that and so there all set to ide. I I'm just guessing that with windows if the bios is set to ahci and then you load windows is there a default windows driver built into the os to run it that way with out using the boards disk driver? I tend to never use anything off the boards driver disk other than base chipset driver of if something just don't work at all after I see windows don't pick it up. also I stat away from add on stuff like asus suite, fast lan type programs that I found to cause issues. if its a wd drive try that data life guard tool to test the drive to see if it will pass it may be just a bad drive . and if its a wd drive they should replace it. so to make a long story short I used ahci once and now there all set to ide and never looked back. if this is a ssd I cant help you seeing I have yet to use one.

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Ya youre probably right about installing asus drivers. Computer still crashes during defrag in safe mode. Its got to be drivers if chkdsk doesnt find errors but I thought safe mode would resolve any potential driver conflicts. Oh well, i have a HDD upgrade on the way so maybe the problem will resolve itself on a fresh install.

well that's cool. everybody has there own way to do things I just found that after you set the bios the way you want and then load windows without using anything from the boards disk and reboot in to windows and see what is realy needed mosty just the chipset drivers then lan audio then with that check that over and reboot back to windows and see were its at then. like my board has the asmeida sata controller on it but windows picks it up and works just fine with out asmeida the drivers on witch I run the optical drives. but funny my last asus sabertooth build was a bad thing it never worked right with things going on like with what your having +. my buddy then bought one thinking it was me and his sabertooth did not last as long as mine a mater of fact it did not stay with him a month and he replaced it with a giga ud3 took all the same parts off the asus and it fired right up no issues . I went asrock intel and used everything off my asus except for the amd chip and it fired right up no issues. them 2 asus boards just left me not looking at asus anymore do to the time ,trouble, and money we spent on something that never worked out right. both asus boards were bought 3 weeks apart with different hardware that all worked just fine on an nother brands board. so anyway good luck.

Solution