BSOD on heavy RAM Stress Test.. Help Please.

swinder6kz

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hi, I have recently built my first PC and I'm having some problems in-game and running prime95 I think it may be my ram but I'm not 100% sure.

System Specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz
CZ DDR2 PC2-8000 / 1000 MHz / 4GB Platinum Edition
Corsair TX750w
Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition
WD 500GB 7200rpm

I built this machine last friday night, had some problems with my ISP all weekend so I did not get it really running well until sunday/monday morning. The CPU is a beast, I ran a stress on it alone for a couple hours before notching it up to 3 GHz. I have total stability, the highest I have gotten for temps between the cores is 56-48C running torture test, and it idles around 32C.

However upon attempting to run Prime95's preconfigured test "Blend" where it tests more ram I get a BSOD, three times now. When I launch WoW I run at 1920x1080, full settings and it runs amazingly well, pushing 80fps easily. After a time when congestion grows it will lockup and BSOD and my cpu isn't even flinching so this leads me to believe it is a ram issue. Also once in a while (like 4 times total) while shutting down after having been in sleep mode it will shoot to blue screen.

http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ramek5.jpg SS of my RAM and SPD.

I'm open to any other suggestions on what this problem could be or how I could better inform you of the issue at hand down to specifics so you could guide me to a fix.

Thanks.

swinder6kz

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Update: Just reset my bios to default, dropped my cpu OC back to normal. I ran the stress test and it is running fine no issues at ALL. Leads me to believe theres an issue with the fsb effecting my RAM's OC vs my CPU.

I found that there is an updated BIOS for my mobo. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2844

I currently have F7, the changes for F8: Support DDR2 speed to 1333MHz and beyond by overclocking would that be a reason why my RAM is causing BSOD? Could I fix this in anyway without updating the bios? (I'm scared to death to do that). I'd even be willing to buy more expensive more stable RAM is needed.

Thanks.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
You need to up the voltage for both the ram and cpu.

Enthusiast ram requires more than the 1.8v the board has as stock. Bump it to 2.05 and run the test with a stock cpu. If OCing to 3.0, hit the cpu with a tad more juice, but most likely it is the ram voltage.

swinder6kz

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
My ram default volts is at 1.8 under the setting "Auto" I tried changing it to 2.0, 2.05, 2.1 (which is what the ram is supposed to be says OCZ's website). But when I pop open CPU-Z it says that there is no change in the ram voltage (1.8v).

I can't help but think there is some type of secondary safety net in my bios not letting my adjust my ram further, but I can't find it.

Ideas?

Thanks~