[SOLVED] BSOD on new laptop >> "Missing winload.efi". Disk also write-protected

Jun 4, 2020
Hi, i did win10 ver2004 fresh install, then ran win update, restart for the first time, then ran win update again, and it got BSOD missing winload.efi.

I tried to re-install the OS again, but it won't let me delete/format any partition. I also tried the [diskpart] commands (clean, attribute clear, active, fixmbr, format, etc) and none of them works. All diskpart commands return "media is write protected" or "Incorrect Function".

I'm at my wits end, this is a new laptop i just bought (Legion Y540).
I'd appreciate any idea of how to fix this state.

Solution
Download ANY decent Linux Live Distro (Mint is probably the easiest), boot from a USB and change SSD properties to READ/WRITE.

Failing that - try GPARTED on a USB drive and re-format the HDD.

Another possible solution is to attach the SSD via a USB-->SATA connector to another Windows machine and using DISKPART type CLEAN, CREATE Partition Primary, format fs=ntfs,quick.

Make sure you select the right HDD though. (LIST DISK, SELECT DISK nn)
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/63241-cant-access-ssd-media-write-protected.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
why were you running win update after 2004 clean install? There aren't any updates for it yet apart from windows defender.

Are you running diskpart from the install USB? i see that error for USB drives, sure you have the right drive selected?

Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner

Jun 4, 2020
why were you running win update after 2004 clean install? There aren't any updates for it yet apart from windows defender.
Okay assuming there isn't any update after 2004 clean install, running win update won't pose any harm, no?
In my case it did download some KB that i didn't take note, also yeah it did download win defender definition.

Are you running diskpart from the install USB? i see that error for USB drives, sure you have the right drive selected?
Yes i was using bootable USB to install my win10. I alrdy tried different USB and re-burn win10 iso to the USB.

UPDATE
i tried Hiren's BootCd and do some surface test to my SSD and it showed some bad sector on it.
Also tried tools to wipe/format/delete partition but none of them is working. I still guess it has something to do with the "media is write-protected"

Colif

Win 11 Master
sometimes running win update can cause problems, as they have been known to release updates that you only get if you run it.

I don't suppose this works - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/...on-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/videos/vid100759 (I know its not right model) - when you fresh installed first time, was it a clean install or an update? That won't work if you wiped ssd.

If its a brand new Lenovo, and ssd that was installed in it is corrupt, surely you can just get it replaced?

Jun 4, 2020
when you fresh installed first time, was it a clean install or an update? That won't work if you wiped ssd.
I only format the OS partition. Yes, i've tried lenovo reset button and tried to boot to recovery partition, but it still shows the bluecreen missing winload.efi file. So novo reset button doesn't work.

If its a brand new Lenovo, and ssd that was installed in it is corrupt, surely you can just get it replaced?
i'm trying to figure out if i can salvage this situation before going that route

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download ANY decent Linux Live Distro (Mint is probably the easiest), boot from a USB and change SSD properties to READ/WRITE.

Failing that - try GPARTED on a USB drive and re-format the HDD.

Another possible solution is to attach the SSD via a USB-->SATA connector to another Windows machine and using DISKPART type CLEAN, CREATE Partition Primary, format fs=ntfs,quick.

Make sure you select the right HDD though. (LIST DISK, SELECT DISK nn)
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/63241-cant-access-ssd-media-write-protected.html

Solution