[SOLVED] BSOD on startup, after PC has been powered off for significant period of time.

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018
Hello all,

• i9-9900K (stock)
  • 2080S FE
  • Z390 Aorus Ultra v. F9
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz ( XMP enabled)
  • Windows 10 Home
I built this system in April. Absolutely no issues until now.

I left the PC idling on the desktop for about an hour. Came back to find both monitors with black screen and unresponsive. Also, the RAM had went a funny colour; usually all 4 sticks are lit up orange but in this instance one was blue and the other a very weak orange.

Restarted the PC, and noticed my mobo was running through a lot more debug codes than usual. Eventually, it got to 78, hung there for a few seconds, and presented me with "Startup Repair could not repair your PC". It directed me to SrtTrail.txt, where the only detected error was "hal.dll is missing or corrupt". The mobo manual lists 78 as "ACPI Core Initialisation".

Restarted the PC, got past 78 code, everything working as normal. Played some games for a while with no problems. Switched the PC off and went to bed.

Got up today, started up the PC, same deal. Hangs at debug 78, then BSOD. However, not a Startup Repair BSOD this time, just the "your PC ran into some problems and needs to restart". Restarted, got past BSOD and everything working fine again.

Once I get past the initial BSOD, I can restart over and over with no problems. The mobo shows the 78 code every time, but it flashes for a split second before moving on to A0 (all good). I can also shut down/start up the PC over and over with no BSOD. So it seems like whatever is happening, only happens when the PC has been off for a while and, once I get past the initial problem, it's fixed?

Can anyone suggest root cause / troubleshooting? Because this problem only seems to present itself when the PC has been off for a while, my troubleshooting has been limited. What I have tried is;

• Run MemTest, all OK.
  • Run Intel CPU Diagnostic, all OK.
  • Checked all physical connections and seating, all OK. (Surely not a connection/seating issue if I can use the PC normally once getting past initial BSOD?)
  • Reinstalled iCUE, forced update for all connected devices.
  • Disabled "start on system startup" in iCUE.
Any and all help appreciated, I did check previous posts but I can't find anything that is as specific as my problem!

EDIT: Attached link to dump file. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLPyugbHrkyizi4-PUGxvnvl3JP?e=pfWFgv

EDIT #2 (27/12): After the below troubleshooting, the PC booted today with no issues. Straight to A0, straight into Windows log-in screen.

• Checked Fast Startup is disabled. Already off prior to crashes.
  • "SFC /scannow" command run in Powershell. Corrupted files found and repaired.
  • "Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth" command run in Powershell. Image healthy.

EDIT #3 (28/12): Return of the BSOD. Only difference between today and yesterday is that today I booted the PC up while the monitors were switched off. Taking this a potential cause and testing.

EDIT #4 (30/12): Switched PC on around 13:00, monitors on, all OK. Turned it off immediately to go out, came back at 16:30, monitors on, got the BSOD. "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly". Restarted PC, all OK. Further troubleshooting below (in order).

• Audio (Realtek) drivers updated.
  • Mouse and keyboard reinstalled. Logitech GHUB uninstalled and removed from registry.
  • GIGABYTE APP Center uninstalled and removed from registry.
  • Run "SFC /scannow" again. No corrupted files found this time.
  • Chkdsk run on both boot drive and secondary drive. No issues found.
  • Checked CPU and RAM voltages in CPU-Z. Maybe useless info, but thought it best to check anyway.
  • Bugcheck was 0x018 REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. Looked through crash dump in WinDbg, it seems to point to "NETIO.SYS" as the cause.
  • LAN drivers updated to latest version. (^)
  • BIOS updated. AMI F9 > F10g. BIOS image created and saved to USB, should I need to go back. I also have the 2nd BIOS which has never been touched since I built the PC.

Second OneDrive folder created here. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLPyugbHrkyi0DxMl6bqmkjOBCd?e=GZPkh1

Back to testing now.

Last edited:
Solution
wow, i guessed what crashed was part of Avast before checking it

Update your LAN driver - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
Update your wifi as well - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

Since i can't tell which you use.

what corsair are you using apart from rgb ram?
curious what these drivers are part of.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try turning off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
might make it less troublesome at startup. Might.. if it does it leads me to think its a driver at fault here.

most of the time i see this mentioned in an error:
SrtTrail.txt,
it leads to a clean install so its odd yours works still.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files on the first run, and restart PC

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
minidumps way smaller than the full dump and normally contain enough info to figure out cause.

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018
try turning off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
might make it less troublesome at startup. Might.. if it does it leads me to think its a driver at fault here.

Already off, I had this off from when I first built the PC back in April.

type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files on the first run, and restart PC

Done. Corrupted files were found and repaired. Screenshot from Powershell and the CBS logfile uploaded at the link below.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
minidumps way smaller than the full dump and normally contain enough info to figure out cause.

I did manage to get a minidump from the last crash, and updated the original post with a OneDrive link. I think maybe you were already writing this reply when I edited the OP lol, sorry about that. This link should work https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLPyugbHrkyizi4-PUGxvnvl3JP?e=01nVyM. I've put other files in there from your other suggestions too, incase they are useful.

Edit: Ah, what I have IS a full dump. Gotcha. Set to minidump now. Thanks!

Thanks!

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018
so much for it being software then.

I send dump links to a friend, not sure if he be here today but maybe. Look at results before i guess causes.

Not sure if this will be of any value, but I've checked Event Viewer for the time frame when I got the BSOD. There are two BugCheck events in there. The one at 16:29 was the BSOD I encountered when I switched the PC on, the one at 16:57 I'm really not sure. I don't remember two crashes. Uploaded screenshots and the log file to that OneDrive folder.

Thanks, I'll wait for more. Much appreciated!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/76kr2nc0/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:122620-9703-01.dmp (Dec 26 2020 - 11:57:10)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: aswidsagent.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#kf
There is a BIOS update available for your system which may help. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Update your LAN driver - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
Update your wifi as well - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

curious what these drivers are part of.

They not part of the necessary drivers for the ram sticks as I am running Icue and I have 2 x 16gb rgb vengeance pro, but I don't have them. Do you have Corsair AIO as well? The ram doesn't use USB?

I wonder what this is doing on an Intel system with a 2080S
Feb 15 2018AmdTools64.sysAMD Special Tools driver
one website seems to think it comes from amd gpu download site?
did you have an AMD GPU in PC at one stage? https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/147438-what-amd-special-tools-driver.html

Solution

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018

I have WIFI disabled in adapter settings, because I only use an Ethernet cable. I'll update both anyway.

I'm using a Corsair AIO (H150i), a Commander Pro (fan control), and a Corsair MP600 as my boot drive.

Strange. No, never an AMD card. I have benchmarking software though, might it have come from that?

FWIW: Yesterday (27/12), I booted up successfully with no issues. This would have been the first boot after the /SFC file repair troubleshooting. Today (28/12), just a few minutes before writing this post, I booted up and hung on Debug 78 again (but no BSOD). The only difference between today and yesterday was that today; I booted the PC without turning the monitors on first.

I found
this post relating to Debug 78 on an Aorus Master board, which says the following "UPDATE: I was attempting to boot the computer with a VGA monitor connected to the HDMI port with a HDMI to VGA adapter. When I spoke with GIGABYTE Tech Support they explained Q-code 78 means it is not detecting a monitor. "

Would having a monitor connected to the GPU, but just not turned on, really stop a PC from booting successfully? In my setup, I have Monitor 1 connected via DP, and Monitor 2 connected via HDMI.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess the USB drivers could be a commander pro

Obviously remove the AMD drivers if you can

I just confirmed with my "Z390 AORUS Master": after original power up and every time after I press Clear CMOS button - the board becomes stuck and displays code 78 forever ... until I plug Monitor AND Mouse and dismiss some pesky message box that informs me that I happened to press Clear CMOS button (as if I do not know).
Now, this is pure evil. The most misleading error message in history of computing. "ACPI Core initialization." in giga-speak means that they cannot find a mouse!

seems it can. It appears it needs you to be able to see the messages on a screen that is on, and have a mouse at least. Probably also a KB since that has also always been a requirement

what mouse do you have? maybe its cause and not monitor, since error can be both.

Last edited:

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018
what mouse do you have? maybe its cause and not monitor, since error can be both.

Logitech G Pro Wireless. I could try removing the G HUB software and drivers, and see if that makes a difference.

Keyboard is a Leopold FC660C. No proprietary software there, just drivers.

Tomorrow morning I will confirm if the issue comes back when PC is powered on before the monitor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
G Hub shouldn't have anything to do with how PC boots up, its way before windows.
I was more wondering if mouse just isn't waking or something at start and could also be reason for that error. No proof.

I haven't seen it before, i would have thought it could power on a monitor from standby or do you turn them off each night? I used to do that with one monitor and then eventually its power switch stopped working so I haven't done that since. I just learned to live with the red standby lights. last monitor it was blue. Current LG monitor the standby light is optional so I left it off.

shagann96

Commendable
Oct 29, 2018
G Hub shouldn't have anything to do with how PC boots up, its way before windows.
I was more wondering if mouse just isn't waking or something at start and could also be reason for that error. No proof.

I haven't seen it before, i would have thought it could power on a monitor from standby or do you turn them off each night? I used to do that with one monitor and then eventually its power switch stopped working so I haven't done that since. I just learned to live with the red standby lights. last monitor it was blue. Current LG monitor the standby light is optional so I left it off.

Welp. Not having much luck are we? Since Monday, the monitor thing seemed to be working. With monitors on standby, when PC was switched on everything was fine. This afternoon, around 13:00, I turned PC on. All OK. Switched it off because I had to go out. Switched it back on at 16:30, debug A0 > BIOS splash > BSOD. "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly". Restarted, all OK.

Updated the OP to reflect all of the stuff we've tried the past few days and what I've tried today before writing this post. Second OneDrive folder linked with minidump and some other stuff. I started to look into the dump myself and found some things I thought might be relevant, but my knowledge and experience is very limited. If NETIO.SYS is a driver, maybe your first instinct was right?

Looking more and more like a fresh W10 install to me :(

Thanks for all your help so far!