BSOD on Windows 8.1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe and Wdf01000.sys

Sketchy0

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hey guys i'm getting tons of BSOD's lately.

The error i'm getting is: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ntoskrnl.exe or Wdf01000.sys)

2068e61b7b.png

Any help?

Solution
the bugcheck is in windows driver framework. Basically, a third party driver is making a bad call to the framework API.
(or malware is making a bad call)

you can do a malwarebytes scan, then run the system file checker
start cmd.exe /scannow
and confirm it fixes any errors found, if not then run this:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

you can uninstall 3rd party software but you should change the memory dump type to kernel rather than minidump, reboot and see if you can bugcheck again, if so put the new memory dump on a server and post a link to it. The kernel memory dump will include the error logs for the windows driver framework and the info can be dumped in the windows debugger. !wdfkd.wdflogdump
the bugcheck is in windows driver framework. Basically, a third party driver is making a bad call to the framework API.
(or malware is making a bad call)

you can do a malwarebytes scan, then run the system file checker
start cmd.exe /scannow
and confirm it fixes any errors found, if not then run this:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

you can uninstall 3rd party software but you should change the memory dump type to kernel rather than minidump, reboot and see if you can bugcheck again, if so put the new memory dump on a server and post a link to it. The kernel memory dump will include the error logs for the windows driver framework and the info can be dumped in the windows debugger. !wdfkd.wdflogdump

Solution

Sketchy0

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

thanks, i'll try that and see if it works

EDIT: could it also be a faulty external hard drive?

maybe, if the drive produced a error and the person who wrote the driver did not handle the error correctly then the driver could crash the windows driver because of bad calls. Best to change the memory type to kernel or full and look at the internal error log and get the name of the driver that cause the crash. Then update the driver.
(assuming it is not a malware attack on the driver) Most likely going to be a old 3rd party storage driver.