Question BSOD only fixed when cpu (r7 3700x) is clocked down to 3.6ghz base clock

FluffyFlounder

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
So the history of this PC: About a year ago, I built the whole PC (Ryzen 7 3700x, 2x8 3600mhz, B550) except for the graphics card. Because the 3700x doesn't have an APU, I found a really old graphics card that worked enough to get windows installed, then I took it out and now a year later I got my hands on an RX 6600.

After installing it however, I've had tons of BSOD like Kernel Security Check Failure, IQRL_Not_Less_Or-Equal, and a few others, so I deleted all partitions on the SSD and reinstalled windows from a usb-drive. However, I still got the same error messages. I tried putting a gtx 1660 in, still got issues. Put in another set of 2x8 3000 ram, same errors.

So, I got a completely new SSD, installed windows on it, andddd it still gives the same error messages.

Finally, where I am now, I went into the registry edit and changed amdppm from 3 ---> 4 and somehow that seems to have fixed it, but it locks the CPU at 3.6 GHz. Does anyone know why this fixed it, or how I could keep my PC working at higher clock speeds for better performance? Thanks for any help.

Lutfij

Titan
Because the 3700x doesn't have an APU, I found a really old graphics card that worked enough to get windows installed, then I took it out and now a year later I got my hands on an RX 6600.
What GPU were you on prior to the RX6600? Along those lines did you use DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers from your platform? You're advised to reinstall your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, once you've removed the drivers from your system.

Where did you source your installer for the OS?

Make and model of your motherboard, BIOS version for said motherboard? PSU's make and model and age(if it's older than 1 year)? Might want to also see if you can manually input timings, voltage and frequency as stated on the side of the ram kit(stickers) in BIOS, manually.

FluffyFlounder

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Because the 3700x doesn't have an APU, I found a really old graphics card that worked enough to get windows installed, then I took it out and now a year later I got my hands on an RX 6600.
What GPU were you on prior to the RX6600? Along those lines did you use DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers from your platform? You're advised to reinstall your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, once you've removed the drivers from your system.

Where did you source your installer for the OS?

I don't know what the card was, it was probably around 8 years old and ran at maybe 720p - I didn't use DDU or anything, I'm on different SSD with an entirely new system, old drivers shouldn't be the problem unless I'm mistaken.

I created the USB drive using windows media creation tool downloaded from microsoft.